Chap | 005

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

        My eyes gaze at the notebook beside her hand. She glances at me, and I decide to ask her. 

        "What do you write in there?" 

        Her gaze follows mine and her eyes widen. "Oh! This is where I write most of my...scenarios? Well, short stories, mostly. Whatever comes to my head, I will quickly ink it down. That is why I always have it with me." 

        Without thinking, I then ask, "can I read?" And I can see that she feels slightly embarrassed, but she nods and slides the notebook to me. 

        "Dream a Little Dream of Me is the name of this collection of ideas. I had different names for each notebook," she says as my fingers touch the cover, admiring the beautiful handwriting on it. 

        I open it, and on the first page, there are a few lines written down in a handwriting I have come to recognize as hers. It is an introduction. 

        I read through it, and then I flip the page again. 

        "This is the first short story in this collection," she tells me as I begin to read. 

        It is a romance. I read the first few lines before I look up. She is gazing at the pages. 

        "Where do you get inspiration from?" I ask her, and she looks away from the page. 

        "I don't really know. They are just random ideas I get. Sometimes, I see things happening in real life, and they would inspire me, like this one," she takes the notebook and starts flipping through the pages quickly. "Yes, this one." She gives the notebook to me, and I read the title of the story.

        Ce que les gens ne savent pas.

        "It is inspired by a story of a friend," she says. I nod as I begin to read what is written.

        The words tell me a story where two people fall in love. A story in which they fall in love when they aren't supposed to. A story where Richard, an ordinary village boy, has to hide the fact he is in love with Avril, the daughter of a wealthy father and heiress to millions, simply because they are not from the same class. 

        "It is a concept that is already seen a lot in the romance genre, but I still love reading stories like that. My friend and the man she loved weren't allowed to be together because of their families. They still wanted to be with each other, so they found ways to meet and talk. He couldn't write her letters because she still was living with her parents, so every night at a specific hour, he would climb up to her balcony just so they could talk. That made me want to write something like that."

        I look at her, and back at the page with slightly parted lips. I read the page and what's after it. I read, and my attention is now on the story I feel like I'm in. I read and I feel, and there is something in me that's changing. Or maybe I'm just thinking that I'm changing. Maybe, I was just too immersed in the fictional world she had created that I was starting to feel slightly different. 

        I look up, and I tell her I love it. I tell her that I love how she writes. I look back at the notebook, and suddenly, my smile vanishes. Before I can do or say anything else, however, she speaks. 

        "I have to get going now. I can't stay here for long today, unfortunately." I look up at her and see her giving me a slight smile. 

        I quickly nod, and I pass the notebook back to her. "It's alright," I say before quickly standing up. I smile. "It was nice getting to know you, Serene."

        She smiles and looks back at the café counter as she stands up. "I still haven't paid for my hot chocolate..."

        "Don't worry about it," I quickly say. "It's my treat."

        She giggles. "Why, thank you, monsieur Hwang," she takes the notebook and pen in her hands, "I really have to go now, though. It was a pleasure getting to know you!" The smile does not leave her lips as she waves at me before turning around and walking away toward the doors of the coffee shop. 

        I stand in my spot for another minute before making my way back to the counter. Étienne is looking at me. 

        "What is it?" I ask him, and he shrugs. 

        "What is what?"

        I roll my eyes. "Never mind. What time is it?"

        "Quarter past three," he answers, and my eyes widen.

        "What? But, my break was supposed to end- it was supposed to end thirty-five minutes ago!"

        Étienne shrugs his shoulder again. "You looked like you were having fun. I didn't want to call you back, so I just took over your work as well," he answers, and I just look at him, not knowing how to answer. "Don't worry, it wasn't much, and I did a good job. How did the conversation go? What's her name?"

        I still do not answer him for a few seconds. "Her name is Serene. And the conversation was good- it was amazing, actually."

        His eyebrows raise, and a smile forms on his lips. "Serene...you really like Serene," he tells me, and I do not answer. I do not answer because I am thinking. 

        I like her...?

        It's too early, though.

        But I like her....

        I groan. Étienne chuckles. "Give yourself some time to think about it. Feelings are complicated," he says, and I look at him. 

        I do not say anything, but I nod as I take my work apron and put it on. And I begin to think. 

        But I cannot think properly, as all I am thinking about is her voice. All I can think of is her smile. All that I can think of is her.

        How do I get you off my mind, Serene?

・───・───・

It's another long chapter- btw not proofread very well since I just wrote this a few hours ago and I am not really in the mood to check for mistakes :)

・───・───・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・