Chap | 011

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

        Paris' streets are busy. Some people walk around, and others drive their cars. It is only some hours until we enter the new year. 

        "This the first time we talk outside the coffee shop," Serene points out as she turns to look at me. "I like it. We should do it more often."

        I smile. "Yes. We should."

        We walk together, and I tell her about the shopkeepers in the streets as I know some of them. I tell her stories of me embarrassing myself, stories of miracles, stories of the people I had met in my life. And she listens. She listens so carefully, and whenever I finish a story she asks me whatever questions she has or she asks me for more.

        I love that about her. I love her.

        "Christopher is a florist who works till nine at night. It is pretty late, but that is when he closes. He comes from Australia. The lad always told me stories of his extended family who still live there. He is married now and he has the most adorable little boy ever," I tell her as we pass the flower shop at the corner of the block. "Do you want to go inside and look through the flowers?"

        She looks at me, and back at the shop and nods. "Why not? I'm sure it is a really beautiful place." She grips my wrist suddenly, and I freeze. "Come on, why did you stop?" she asks as she smiles again, pulling me by my wrist as we walk to the shop. 

        Hyunjin, calm your heart down, it is beating way too fast.

        Her small hands brush against the bushes and lilacs placed outside before she pushes open the brown wooden door, and a bell chimes. 

        As we enter, the familiar man at the front desk raises his head and his eyes widen. "Hyunjin! Comment ça va?" he calls out, leaving whatever was in his hands and coming towards me before taking me into a big hug. "Eh, you haven't been stopping by! Pourquoi?" 

        I laugh. "I have been good, how about you, Chris? And, yes, sorry, I have been busy," as I apologize, the man pulls away.

        Serene is looking at the both of us with a smile when Christopher turns to her and his eyes widen. "Who is this madame?" he asks, and I see his eyebrows slightly raise as he looks back at me. 

        Serene giggles. "I am Serene Harcourt, a friend of Hyunjin's. It is a pleasure to meet you, monsieur," she introduces herself before she and Christopher shake hands. 

        Friend. Yes...friend.

        "Ah! It sure is a pleasure to meet you, too! So, what brings you here at such a time?" Chris asks, looking back at me. I tell him we came to look around, and he tells us to take our time and be comfortable. 

        Serene begins to look through the daffodils and the other flowers, and as she does that, I ask her which ones she likes. She names a few types, and I try to remember them.

        "Do you want to get anything?" I ask her, and she shakes her head. 

        "Just looking around is enough. All of them are so beautiful," she says as she steps away from the display of plants and flowers. "Do you want to get anything or...do we continue our walk?"

        I shake my head. "We can continue our walk. I just need to talk to Christopher about something, it is okay if you wait a bit, right?" I ask, and she nods, telling me she will wait outside as she wants to look around the street. 

        As she walks out of the shop, making the bell chime once again, I ask Christopher to make a bouquet. I name the flowers she likes to him, and he put them together, making the most beautiful bouquet. For her. For Serene.

        The most beautiful bouquet for the most beautiful madame. 

        After thanking Christopher and paying, I walk outside and see her. Her eyes widen. Her lips part, and she doesn't look away from the bouquet. 

        I extend my arm, telling her to take it, and she refuses at first, but I insist, so she takes it. I smile to myself, and she still is looking at the flowers.

        "Hyunjin, you didn't have to, oh my," she looks at me and thanks me. 

        I laugh and I shake my head. "You do not need to thank me, Serene. It is just a gift from a friend to a friend."

        She smiles again and thanks me once more. 

        And even though I am feeling happy, there is another feeling I am getting. It is not sweet. It is bitter. It is bitter, but the happiness I am getting from seeing her so happy makes it bittersweet. Like the coffee I make everyday. Like how the chocolat chaud sometimes turns out to be. Bittersweet.

        I know she is happy right now. I am happy because she is. But I cannot be truly happy knowing that those flowers were supposed to be given to her while I say, "from a lover to a lover".

        But then again, I cannot forget how so quickly and easily I fall in love. I cannot ignore how imaginative I can get, how I can easily forget about the possibility of rejection

        So, trying to ignore all the thoughts running through my mind, I shake my head slightly, and I continue to tell her about the shopkeepers of the streets as we continue to walk. 

・───・───・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・