Chap | 007

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

        Two Pm.

        I stand behind the counter, gazing outside at the snow-covered grounds. The letter I wrote is inside a light yellow envelope, and that envelope is held between my fingers as I wait for her.

        Étienne rings his call bell, and I look up at him. "What?"

        "Stop getting distracted. We still have a coffee shop to run," he says, and I roll my eyes.

        "We barely have customers today. It is Christmas Eve, after all," I say before I go back to washing the empty cups.

        Étienne's lips slightly curl up. "You can just say you are waiting for her again. When are you going to tell her?" He is leaning on the counter, looking at me, and I look away.

        I bite my bottom lip before smiling. "I am planning on doing so today. I hope she shows up," I answer, putting down a white plate with the others.

        Étienne nods slowly. "She will, don't worry about it. Just don't get too nervous. Continue to wait as you please, but don:t forget about work."

        Nodding my head, I look away putting the dishes in their places. And, I wait.

        I wait for hours. My break comes and goes, customers come in and out, but I see her nowhere.

        It is closing time, and I still have not seen her the entire day. I did not see her yesterday either. Not even the day before that. I guess that is the reason I expected her to come.

       Alice, the jazz band's lead vocalist takes her things. She is at the coffee shop doors when she stops.

       "Monsieur Hwang?" She calls out my name, turning around to face me. "Did you not collect the mail today?" She is holding a few envelopes.

        I stop cleaning the tables, and I walk over to her. "No, I think I forgot to do that. Thank you," I say, taking the white envelopes she hands me. She smiles before telling me "goodnight," and exiting, letting me alone in the silence of the empty coffee shop.

        I scan through the envelopes and most of them are bills, but my eyes are on one envelope. A specific one, that is slightly smaller than the rest.

        I turn it over, and in small letters, my name is written; 'Monsieur Hwang Hyunjin.'

        I recognize who the small letters belong to, and so my heartbeat quickens.

        Serene? Serene wrote me something?

        I open the envelope and take out the letter.

        And then, I read.

・───・───・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・