Chap | 026

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

        They say love is something one can hardly get out of. They say heartbreak is hard to get over. They say finding someone else would always be something difficult. They say lots of different things, and they might have been right at some point, but in my case, they weren't.

        I am okay. In fact, I am great.

        I don't think I've felt happiness such as this in a long time. And I think finally forgetting you is the main reason for my happiness.

        I've been focusing on my job, focusing on the shop, forgetting about everything else, forgetting about everything that shouldn't have mattered to me as much.

        It had taken time. About a year, it has been, but everything is still quite the same. The only thing that I could say is different is not having you around as much. You and Felix have only recently begun to come here, and you hardly ever come alone. Even when you do, we rarely get to talk.

       And that was what gradually made me forget.

       Because as time went on, you were not that Serene anymore. As time went on, I was not that Hyunjin anymore. And now I reread my old letters to you, and I cannot help but let a laugh escape my lips. Oh, how helplessly in love I was.

        Now, you might think that that means I didn't get surprised or slightly hurt by the letter I received with my mail this morning, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea about it, so I will just tell you.

        I was surprised.

        I had gotten dressed, and I had done my hair nicely. I let myself enjoy a big breakfast, and after that, I stood beside the door of my home before kneeling to pick up the mail from the floor.

        Your address, I recognized on the envelope. I began to search for your name, however, I did not find it. Instead, I only saw my own, written in the bottom right corner, in a handwriting I could not recognize.

        My eyebrows furrowed at first, the confusion being clear on my expression.

        I pulled the paper inside the envelope out and my eyes opened wide reading the calligraphed text on the card.

       Mr & Mrs Harcourt request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter, Serene Harcourt, to Felix Lee on Sunday, November 27, 1960.

        I looked away from the card, even more confused and shocked. You were going to get married... Serene, you are going to be marrying Lee Felix! I still cannot quite get it into my head.

        Happy. I felt happy for you. After letting the words I had read sink in, I finally smiled. But I will not lie to you. I cannot lie when writing on these pages that I will add to the pile of letters you will never see again.

        I did envy Felix, but hurt, I did not feel. I thought about how that could've been me, but I did not let it ruin my mood as it used to before my confession. I thought about why you even sent me this invitation considering how we are barely even on talking terms, but in the end, I concluded that you maybe got over it, too.

        Maybe you want to break that barrier that we've ourselves created, too. Because it is not worth it. We can still be friends, Serene. You found your person, and as for me, I think I found mine.

        I

        "Hyunjin?" a voice calls out to me, and I look up. It's Étienne. "We're opening soon, you should come out," he says, and I let a smile spread on my lips as I nod.

        "I'll be right there," I reply, and I watch him exit with a beam on his lips as well. My gaze travels back to the paper on my desk, the one I was just writing on, and instead of finishing what I am writing, I stand up. I take the sheet in my hands, and I fold it before taking it to one of the drawers in the office, leaving it there, unfinished and incomplete, just like the last one I wrote to her.

        Humming to myself, I make my way to the door before exiting the office and walking out, into the main area of the coffee shop, where I stand behind the counter as I always have.

         Serene, the story we wrote for ourselves might have not exactly ended well. But, just like how you took your own pen and wrote your story for yourself, I will do the same. 

         I'll become the author of my own story. The story you began. The one I will finish.

・───・───・

[A/N]
This is finally completed :') gosh I'm sad :')

But the fact I legit wrote this chap in like an hour coz it's so last minute- I start exams next week so I only had today to upload this final chap ;-;

I hope you enjoyed reading this book just as I enjoyed writing it!! I just want you guys to know that every comment you leave makes my day and I love rereading them whenever I have nothing to do. I hope the ending of this book did the rest of it justice- if there are any errors or anything of such I would appreciate you pointing them out!
Remember that I always love you guys and make sure to take care and stay safe!! I'll see you guys (hopefully) in another one of my works!

Thank you for reading  <33

・───・───・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・

・────── ・❁ ・──────・