𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕 • Maze

DAMN it, Viperine cursed mentally as soon as she set foot in the study

DAMN it, Viperine cursed mentally as soon as she set foot in the study. She should start paying more attention and not leave her belongings unattended in Alfea's numerous classrooms.

Not that it was such a bad thing to have to walk around, but the problem itself lay with the people—the person—she unfortunately always ran into when she had to go back to the greenhouse.

It was as if Terra didn't have a social life and spent all her time with her father there. Viperine didn't know where Harvey was. Probably with Director Silva, who was injured after the burn attack.

The attack, otherwise known to her as the day she was strangled. Or rather, that Anakin was strangled. What was done to the snake was reflected on Viperine's physical body. She should take Verena's advice and start letting her loose only in the bedroom...

But she had already done that. That must be why Principal Dowling had sent him to her office at the end of the day. The memory of it made Viperine's body shiver completely, not at all happy.

"Oh, I saved it for you," Terra said, barely letting Viperine say anything first. "You forgot your scarf here earlier. Why are you wearing a scarf today, by the way?"

"I'm cold," she replied coldly.

"It's 167 degrees outside," Terra laughed nervously. "And you're wearing a fuzzy coat... Is it faux fur? You're not hot, are you?"

Viperine clenched her fist, almost feeling her nails dig into her palm. She had always been an almost antisocial person. She couldn't stand people like the fairy in front of her. No day, no time, was good to test Viperine's explosive and limited patience.

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to keep the monster's murderous instincts from creeping up on her.

"Hey, what's that?" asked Terra, pointing to her torso. Aren't those scuff marks? No, they look more like strangulation."

She was about to explode, turning the fairy into the coldest, hardest statue she'd ever made in her life.

"Let me see," Terra asked, stepping forward. "I think I can cure it with a little camphor."

"Keep your distance!" shouted Viperine, an inch from feeling Terra's hands touch her. "Do you know what personal space means or do I need to draw? No, you know what? I think I know why Dane uses you, because you're so weak and pathetic and..."

"Dane doesn't use me," Terra exclaimed, offended. "We are good friends. Yeah, we're friends. Best friends."

"Oh, so you mean, between you and me, he would choose you, Terra?" She teased, evil. Terra swallowed hard. "Open your eyes, girl. You try to play strong and confident, but you're just a fragile, scared little baby."

Terra's once happy features died. She was speechless, not knowing how to defend herself against Viperine's venomous offenses. She wondered if he'd ever done anything to her, but she only remembered him being nice and polite.