𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟗 • Dead

THE EAST WING was abandoned, with cracked stone and dusty shadowy corners

THE EAST WING was abandoned, with cracked stone and dusty shadowy corners. But tonight, abandoned was everything that place wouldn't be. Viperine really didn't understand why they didn't renovate this place and make it usable.

Much of the floor was covered in spilled cheap beer, as well as the typical frat-party red cups—not that this was a regular school, of course. The floor was almost disgusting with sweat, alcohol, and dust already accumulated. Viperine tried to dodge these puddles, but it was having a hard time.

A fire was burning and music was playing. The area was lit by purple light, making it almost magical. Fairies in jeans and sexy tops danced in a circle, throwing their arms in the air and kissing.

That made Viperine roll her eyes. Not that she could say much, since she knew what the teenage party life was all about. Still, she didn't understand what must have been going through their minds in those moments of epiphany for them to want to cling to the first moving thing they saw in front of them.

She poured herself a plastic cup of cheap beer, which at least was cold. Viperine took a sip, holding back her grimace at the bitter taste. It was at the same instant that she felt the presence of someone stopping beside her.

"What do you have there?" She asked, nodding at the tupperware in Dane's hands.

"Marijuana brownies," he replied, smiling knowingly at her. "Terra baked, but they're strong."

"Finally something Earth Fairies are useful for," she hissed, accepting the piece Dane offered her. "How strong?"

"The kind where you'll have a good night if you don't die first."

Viperine shrugged, taking the first bite.

"Liquid luck, then," she teased, savoring. Oh my! Dane was right; those brownies were really strong.

"Did you just make a Harry Potter joke?" Dane asked, almost as if he was shocked.

"Slytherin," she warned. "What about you? Hufflepuff?"

"Was that supposed to be an insult?" asked Dan.

"Your words, not mine."

Viperine didn't give him time to respond, leaving and walking out of the party. She was pretty sure she saw Riven playing beerpong against Aisha and Bloom, and even more certain that she saw Riven all stressed about having beer spilled on his shirt.

He should be used to it by now, she thought, remembering that she had already done that to him—not that she would ever admit that it was her fault. She pushed that idea to the corner of her mind, walking into a darker area.

Viperine smirked. Finally, the perfect opportunity had arisen in her favor. Behind a column, darkened by the night, where the light didn't reach, were people she swore she would never come across again, but with the events that had arisen in her life, she should have already prepared for that moment.