𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎 • Stabbed heart

IF THERE WAS ONE THING Viperine hated more than homework, it was assemblies, especially those given by that woman—Queen Luna

Conventional assemblies were already a nightmare, but the ones about doom and gloom held by the Queen of Solaria were the worst. They were boring, pointless, and tedious. What really bothered Viperine was the presence of that woman; she couldn't look her in the eye.

Viperine glanced at Beatrix's message again, circling the courtyard, seeing the suspicious movement of the adults

Viperine glanced at Beatrix's message again, circling the courtyard, seeing the suspicious movement of the adults. Harvey, Silva, Dowling... They were all looking for something or someone.

She knew that by now they should have seen Callum's tracks and the statue she and Viperine had left in the hallway. Ah, it was a scandal when they found her. Viperine so wanted to see their faces.

She felt herself being poked in the ribs, Riven beside her, discreetly catching her attention. They were sitting in the back row, almost hidden in the corner, out of sight.

Viperine grabbed her hand, signaling them to slip away without attracting attention.

"Where are we going?"

"Mandatory assembly means abandoned assembly."

Riven's gaze wavered. He didn't want to admit it, but for some time now, his girlfriend—maybe girlfriend—had created a slightly hostile expression. He didn't think she was aimed at him, nor that she planned to do anything unpleasant... It was just weird.

"Are you coming or not?"

Riven wasted no time in deflecting Silva's eyes upon them.

"LOOKS LIKE WE'RE not the only ones fooling around," Viperine muttered, a mischievous smile on her lips.

Riven couldn't stop thinking about how good this moment was. He and his girlfriend, his best friend, and his best friend's girlfriend, but it was hard to be friends with a changeling. Something Riven had let slip from his tongue during the experts' party. He didn't think it was supposed to be anything, but Viperine herself had claimed it was dangerous. Fairies, mistaken for humans, could cause an entire state to go extinct if their powers got out of control.