𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒 • The last Medusa

RIVEN HATED HIS lectures

RIVEN HATED HIS lectures. What was the fun? Study one is about a bunch of old men, most of them already dead, just because they were war heroes or feared villains.

    They were already dead! Why study the dead? They could be part of history, but studying them now wouldn't make a difference, wouldn't change anything about what they did before.

    He felt that, as an expert, he should spend his time training in physical combat, not wasting time on a class in the history of magical warfare. At least he wasn't the only one who looked like he was about to fall asleep at the tedious words of that professor who... What was his name?

    Riven threw her arms down on the table, yawning as she leaned her forehead against them. His eyes were so heavy and that class seemed like such a good excuse to take a nap.

    "You need to pass in this class, in case you forgot," Sky muttered beside her, taking notes with a sharpened pencil.

    "What I need is answers, Sky," he snapped. "It's already become clear to me that you and my girlfriend certainly know each other. Fact! Now, I want to know how, where, and why."

    "It's harder to explain than you might think," sighed Sky, dropping the pencil.

    "You can try anyway," he encouraged, pressing him. "Perhaps you can also tell me about the rumors running around."

   "What rumors?"

    Sky was trying not to bring up that subject—Viperine. It was becoming an almost impossible mission not to talk or show that I knew her well before Alfea. Unfortunately, Riven had discovered that long ago.

    The golden boy sighed, running a hand through his blond hair and ruffling it. They were always so neat, but now it looked like a little bird had made a nest out of her head where her chicks lived.

    "You don't even seem to know," snorted Riven. "Terra has been saying that my girlfriend is a Medusa. How ridiculous! Medusas don't even exist anymore."

    "Viperine is a Medusa!?" exclaimed Sky, startled.

    "Okay, it's okay that she can be nervous, threatening, and really look like a snake about to pounce, but that's not what it's for," he defended. "Alfea, when you were in the military, didn't you say that you were responsible for containing all the Medusas?"

"Wait," he inquired. "Why does Terra think that?'

    Riven shrugged off. In fact, he was just trying to deny himself something. At the homecoming party, right after bumping into Viperine alone in that dark hallway, was when he'd found the first statue.

    He was really suspicious... But they had no proof that it was her! Until proven otherwise, he would be on the side of the first girl who ever really liked him.