𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖 • Deadland fairy

"IS IT ASKING too much that you don't leave your books lying on the bedroom floor? I almost fell this morning," Beatrix asked, angrily plucking them out of her backpack and placing them on the table

"As difficult as moving a mountain with your arms," Viperine retorted, her eyes rolling. "Do you ever stop complaining?"

But the two fell silent with Dowling's gaze on them. They were in a class taught inside a normal classroom, testing their fairy powers in small activities that were almost ridiculous.

Beatrix and Viperine were bored—as usual, but at least the electricity fairy pretended to be interested in Dowling's story. Viperine, on the other hand, lay on top of the pile of books that Beatrix managed to find in the middle of the room's clutter.

Ridiculous as it was, many faeries still had difficulty controlling their own power. As was the case with Terra, who had caused flowers to sow, but she couldn't stop before the petals fell.

Bloom, the shifting fairy from Alfea, had surprisingly managed to set a single piece of wood on fire and leave the others intact. Beginner's luck, thought Viperine.

Aisha's jealousy did not go unnoticed. That girl could annoy anyone with a little sense. Why did she have to try to prove herself the best at everything? Extra credit?

"Control, I get it," Aisha said, under Dowling's gaze. "I mean, I can do it."

But the single drop of water Dowling asked for never came. It was just a very big drop that fell into the water bowl, wetting her and Bloom. Viperine almost felt vindicated.

"Something yet to be learned," said Dowling dryly.

Soon, the headmistress of Alfea turned to Beatrix. The fairy was able to perfectly lift isolated grains of rice in the air with static electricity. Dowling said:

"Impressive, Beatrix. Keep it up."

"Got it, Miss D," she hissed, making the headmistress look at her questioningly. "Principal Dowling."

Viperine saw the words Beatrix would have hissed wryly: Her grace. She chuckled inwardly, then saw that Dowling was looking at her. There was nothing on Viperine's table but the books. Then she said:

"Giving life is easy, but what about taking it away?" She asked. "Can you scale it up and down, Viperine?"

From above his desk, Dowling placed a vase of flowers in front of Viperine. A stem of some weird orchid species in the middle, with weeds surrounding it. Viperine wasn't the best at understanding flowers and plants, but she knew just how easy it was to kill one.

"Caleana Major," Dowling said. "It is one of the most difficult flowers to grow."

"Wait a minute," Terra asked, confused. "If it's so hard to cultivate, why do you want Viperine to kill it?"