Eighteen

Just a reminder: it's almost summer now but this story is during fall/winter time. That was the season when I started it. In this chapter you guys get a little bit of everybody.

   DANIEL

   THE PROBLEM SOLVER

            I peered over the couch at my brother. He looked downright pitiful. It's his own fault. He stared at the TV and one would think all of his problems would be solved by an old soccer match between Real Madrid and Manchester United.

            "Hey," I said. He jerked a little before he looked up. That was proof of how distracted he was. He hadn't heard me open the door, and worse, didn't notice someone standing over him.

            "Hey, where have you been?"

            I ignored that question. "So, I have a few things to take care of, if things don't go well I'm leaving right after."

            "You're always welcomed here," he said. "I don't want you to feel weird or awkward about anything."

            I scratched the back of my neck as I felt heat building there. We were finally going to have that inevitable fight that we've been avoiding.

            "What's there to feel awkward about? You guys aren't together anymore. You left him."

            He sat up, eyes piercing. "Excuse me?"

            "It bothers you, doesn't it? That's why you broke up with him. It's one thing to end a relationship with Maxwell that has made you happier than that fucking asshole ever could in such a short time because of your possessive stupidity, but it's another thing to make it seem like you've done me some huge favor."

            "You went to see him, didn't you?" I scoffed. He had the nerves to sound offended. "What were you—how did you even find out where he lived?"

            "I was thinking that I wanted to say hi to him. I was thinking that I wanted to see how he was doing. I was thinking that he should know that your decision was solely based on you and your inability to believe what I say and not because of me."

            "What the hell?" Flabbergasted would be the word to describe how he looked.

            "I love him, okay? It's not the kind of thing that I'm ever going to get rid of but I don't want to ride of into the sunset with the guy, com'on, man. I didn't think I'd see him again. Ever. Kind of...just knocked me off my feet a little."

            "For the record I did think you wanted to ride of into the sunset with him."

            "For the record I don't. And thank you for looking out for me but it's not necessary. "

            "He's never going to forgive me."

            "He might. He's hurt but he's still hopeful. He told me to come yell at you, by the way," I said, walking around the couch and snatching the remote. Seriously, this match is ancient.

            "Seriously?"

            "Well not in so many words...just sort of hinted. He's funny..." I felt the daggers from his eyes going straight through my head. "You have issues." I told him. "Serious, serious issues. Now that your head is out of your ass I can't talk about him?"