Eight

WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME?

            I’m falling so hard for him it should have my knees trembling with fear. It should make me want to put some distance between us, take things at a much slower pace. That was out of the question. I found myself spending as much time with him as possible. And the fact that Sein had a thing for surprises didn’t help the matter, not that I minded. It actually put us together as much as possible, usually unexpected. If he called and asked what I was doing then he had something in mind and I never knew about it until it was happening. He had a thing for up and going, spontaneous like nothing I expected. One Tuesday afternoon we drove all the way to South Jersey to eat at a chain restaurant that wasn’t in the north. All because I saw a commercial and groaned at how good the food looked.

            We spent a lot of time in the city also. He knew the city more than I did. Usually I only went there for business purposes and it was an in and out thing, not for “fun” like Sein did. During his years at NYU he said he would take the subway, got off at random stops and just explore the place. He used to get lost on purpose just to be able to find his way around. We spent some evenings at the park, Battery Park, I think it was called and then some nights we went to the Regal Cinema near the park. I instigated the first couple make out sessions but we started acting like adults, eventually.

            It was a Thursday Evening and Sein had Friday and the following week off. The two weeks after he got back from Miami were spent working and working with the same client. It was “a matter of finalizing everything,” Sein had said. He worked hard for it. I felt proud of him and at the same time I felt like I had no need to be. I knew he’d get it done. I guess I felt proud because of how driven he was and how he always seemed to be successful and remained humble. I admired him

            He was something to be scared of. You give your heart to a man like Sein and you gave him more power over yourself than you’ve ever had. He could take you and twist you and make you into anything he wanted to, and you’d have no choice but to be molded. I wasn’t afraid of him. If anything, I was scared of me, for him.

            Sein: Wanna come to the city? I’m having drinks with my friends to celebrate.

            Me: Sure.

            Sein: Take the path around 6pm, or whenever you’re free. I’ll meet you outside. Just let me know when you’re about to get on the train.

            Me: K.

            I could practically see Sein rolling his eyes and I found amusement in that. That’s his least favorite letter in the whole alphabet all because of texting.

            I didn’t get out of the office until 6:15pm. By the time I got home it was almost 7pm, and when by the time I showered, got dressed, and took a cab to the station it was nearly 8pm. Sein told me where to get off the train and when I climb the stairs to the street he was right there, head down texting on his phone.

            “Hey, you,” I said. Sein looked up, a beatific smile on his face. I kissed him gently on his lips and then he grabbed my hand, threading his fingers through mine.

            “Hi, thanks for coming.”

            “Anytime. You smell like alcohol,” I commented.

            Sein grinned. “Yeah, didn’t have much of a choice. Everyone’s waiting to meet you.”

            I made sure to pay attention to where we were going. If there was alcohol involved I wanted to know how to get my ass home. I’ve never been that wasted but it doesn’t hurt to be safe. It wasn’t until we were crossing the street that I realized what Sein said.