Four

SAME PAGE

            Sein has been living in his new apartment for two weeks and has yet to buy any furniture. I know this because I invited him out for coffee and he looked miserable and uncomfortable. His back was hurting. For two weeks he has been sleeping on an air mattress because he hadn’t found the time to buy any furniture and since his old apartment was furnished that only left him with a few things that belonged to him and he didn’t know where to start. “Start with a bed,” I said, laughing. He laughed too and I swear I stopped breathing. I told him I’d go with him tomorrow after work if he wanted me to and he agreed. I’m glad I offered because he didn’t hide the pleased and grateful look on his face.

            “So why did you ask me out for coffee tonight?” He asked me. I raised an eyebrow at that. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad you did. It’s just…”

            “Just?”

            “I think so far you and I have…what’s the term? Hit it well? That’s one saying I can’t seem to get right.”

            “Hit it off well,” I said and laughed after I answered. “You basically just said we had sex and it was good.” His cheeks turned a bright red, which was hard to see underneath all that sexy scruff but I saw it. I laughed some more. I know his shyness and his nervousness will go away completely pretty soon so I plan to enjoy it for as long as its here. I’m nervous too, always, around him. I just hide it a little better.

            “Yeah,” he said softly, smiling now. “I think we hit it off well. It wouldn’t be a good feeling if I’m reading into this too much and we’re not on the same page.”

            “We are,” I assured him. “I asked you out because I wanted to see you.”  We still talked on the phone every night and we text throughout the day but being around him was a different kind of high. It was like floating in a sea of ecstasy…beatific.

            His smile was intoxicating and when he spoke his eyes lit up. His accent made things that shouldn’t be sexy, sexy. The few times I heard him laugh made my heart stutter in my chest. I was getting addicted to him and there was nothing I could do to stop it.  After awhile of just sitting there and chatting with him I realized I wanted a second date and this didn’t count as one.

            “How do you feel about Jazz?” I asked him.

            “As long as it’s not in an elevator I’m all for it,” he answered, an enchanting smile on his lips. For a couple seconds I just stared at them. His lips were even redder from him bothering them every now and again after a sip of coffee. Fuck me.

            “How’d you like to go see a live show in the city? I’m thinking Jazz and then a rooftop dinner. Yes, I am asking you out on a date. Friday night?”

            “Friday night,” was his answer and it was accompanied by a small smile. I smiled back at him, maybe a little too much but, hey, I felt good. “You just took a lot of pressure off of me.”

            “How so?” I asked, intrigued.

            “I’ve wanted to ask you out again since I dropped you off Sunday evening after I ran out of ways to spend more time with you but I…I feel—don’t freak out okay? —I feel this pull towards you and I’m afraid I’ll push and push too hard.”

            “Push,” I told him. “I can handle it.”

            It was endearing watching all the uncertainty leave him. His body language became more relaxed. He turned more towards me while we spoke. Whenever his knees or hands brushed against mine he let it stay there. He had this new intensity and determination in his eyes that gave me cold bumps. Going by everything I’ve seen and known about him so far, even if he was tentative, Sein was not something to play around with. I’d be lying if I said that didn’t strum the right cord somewhere deep inside of me.