Chapter Nine

There was something eerily familiar about the book she was reading while curled up in the chair beside her father's bed. Cin had always despised the story, yet she couldn't pinpoint why.

The tale unsettled her because it revolved around a girl compelled to live under a man's control, all because he believed he knew what was best for her. Despite her unease, Cin found herself returning to the book, attempting to unravel the source of her discomfort. It troubled her that a work of fiction could evoke such disquietude.

Perhaps the flowers had whispered a similar narrative to her at some point, but she couldn't recall.

"You resemble your mama so much," her father murmured, his eyes barely open.

Cin closed the book and smiled at him. "It's hard not to see her in this tangled mess on my head."

"It's not just your hair, Hyacinth. When you're lost in thought, a crease forms between your eyebrows, just like it did for her. You read almost as much as she did. You have strong opinions. You're resilient and braver than your circumstances dictate."

"Braver than I should be?" Cin let out a laugh.

A slight smile lifted the corners of her father's mouth. "You do things that girls shouldn't do, and some men wouldn't dare undertake. Yet, here you are, defying expectations. There's a fire within you that fiercely cares for others. Hold onto it, alright?"

"Why are you telling me this?" She leaned forward, clasping his hand. She knew his time was drawing near, but she prayed it wouldn't happen in that moment.

"Your mama would have been immensely proud of you, my love. And I am too."

"Papa, please," she pleaded, her grip on his hand tightening. "Tell me how you met mama."

"Have I not exhausted that story?" he asked.

Tears welled up in Cin's eyes as she shook her head. "Have you? I can't seem to remember it. Silly me."

And so he did. Her father delved into the tale while Cin did her best to commit his features to memory: the lines on his face, his salt-and-pepper hair, his storm-grey eyes, his pale complexion, and his elegantly arched ears. Her father had always been more connected to the High Fae than they had been, but when the High Fae abandoned Spring, leaving the lesser fae to fend for themselves, her father had chosen to stay. He would have been welcomed anywhere, but it would not have been the same for Bron and Cin. So he made the decision to remain with his children.

Cin's parents had been farmers. They had met when her father discovered her mother using magic to grow an orchard of apple trees near a school. Her mother had been reluctant to let anyone know about her abilities, fearing abuse. So, she'd would sneak around, quietly growing extensive fields of vegetation. Cin's father eventually found out and began assisting her in her covert activities, and love bloomed between them. He would tell people that he had spotted a veiled man running through the fields at night, and the farmers, upon witnessing the abundant yield, had no choice but to believe him.

They lived like that for years until Cin's mother became pregnant with Bron. It was then that they decided to settle in Clematis. They enjoyed a peaceful and quiet life until Bron started working for the High Lord, and Cin's mother became pregnant with her. Her mother was bedridden for most of the twelve months of pregnancy, suffering from a severe illness. It was no secret that her mother wouldn't survive the birth, but she chose to bring Cin into the world nonetheless.

Every day, no matter how ill she felt, her mother would grow purple Hyacinths in the room, filling the house with their fragrance. After Cin was born, crying loudly with all her might, her mother clung on just long enough to kiss her cheeks and forehead before passing away.