Chapter Thirty Three

"Are you planning to make these bi-weekly visits a permanent arrangement?" Cin asked, deftly scooping the boiled egg out of its shell.

Everly's culinary skills were a blessing to the Mansion. In fact, Cin had no qualms admitting that Everly's cooking far surpassed her own. Everly brought an array of diverse meals to the table—always something new, always something Cin hadn't thought of. Cin had mentioned to Tamlin that if the staff numbers increased any further, she would require assistance in the kitchen. In response, he had said that if she knew of anyone willing to accept the same salary, he would be open to giving them a chance.

One of Cin's new responsibilities involved vetting the staff, ensuring their safety.

"Nope," Tamlin replied, engrossed in his own breakfast plate. "I took your advice and read through my father's journals. He had a robust system in place during his reign, and I'm considering reintroducing certain aspects of it. There are six villages in total: Calla, Clematis, Orchis, Surfinia, Paeonia, and Monarda. These frequent visits are beneficial for now, as I'm aiding in the rebuilding process. However, once the villages are restored, my constant presence may feel suffocating. So, as my father did, I propose that each village elect a representative to oversee its affairs. When I visit twice a year, these representatives can update me on the village's progress."

"In case of an emergency, it would be the representative's responsibility to dispatch a rider to inform my father."

"I like that idea. It empowers the people to choose their own spokesperson," Cin agreed. It was a positive step, one she had intended to suggest herself, but she felt proud that Tamlin had arrived at the same conclusion. "And what about generating income? Do you have any ideas?"

Tamlin shook his head. "It will undoubtedly become a problem at some point. Currently, the people are content with receiving food and herbs as payment, but how long until they can sustain themselves?"

"I might have an idea." Cin took a sip of her orange juice, then leaned back in her chair. Tamlin tilted his head, waiting for her to continue. "What if we manufacture and sell medicine to the other courts?"

"Although it's a good idea, it's not as simple as it sounds." Tamlin offered her a slow, melancholic smile. "The logistics alone would be a nightmare. We'd need to mass-produce medicinal herbs, develop packaging and transportation methods. And let's not forget that I am viewed as a villain by every court, including half of my own."

Undeterred, Cin leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table. "Hear me out, okay? Then you can decide."

"Okay. The floor is yours," he said, settling back and crossing his arms.

"In exchange for regularly restocking her herb supply, I can make a deal with Freda, the healer from Orchis, to teach me about medicinal herbs. Until we can afford to hire more hands, I can cultivate the herbs on one of the hills behind the estate. We can utilize that land and engage nonworking villagers in making woven tea bags in exchange for vegetables, just as we pay our staff. This way, everyone gets involved, creating jobs and combating poverty. By working together, we may not only mend the bonds between you and your people but also foster unity among the people themselves."

"But who would we trade with, and how would we deliver the medicine?"

"This is where you come in. You need to focus on reemploying sentries for security and transportation purposes. You also need to rebuild your relationships with the other High Lords and even establish contacts on the continent. Remember, while fae may get sick once, humans fall ill countless times over."

"All of this sounds promising in theory, Cin, but the other High Lords despise me, and humans generally have a disdain for fae."

"You have already regained the respect of more than half your court. If anyone can accomplish this, it's you," she shrugged. Tamlin had spent the past year battling against public opinion and helping everyone in need. It had been an uphill battle, but progress was being made. Whenever he visited Orchis to offer assistance, Bruno, the builder, spoke openly with Tamlin. People were beginning to recognize the sincerity behind his actions. "If I can find a way to manufacture and package medicine, you need to find the 'who' and the means to deliver it to them."