Epilogue II

The Summer Court emanated a gentle warmth, not scorching or arid, but pleasantly warm.

As Cin, Tamlin, and their entourage winnowed to Tarquin's palace veranda, they were greeted by Tarquin, Cresseida, and Summer Court sentries. Cin, Dannas, and the Spring sentries bowed deeply.

Except for Tarquin himself, the Summer Court entourage bowed in deference to Tamlin. The two High Lords didn't bow to each other; instead, they clasped forearms and exchanged pleasantries, one ruler to another.

"Tarquin, nice to see you again," Tamlin greeted.

"I could say the same," Tarquin replied, devoid of the disdain Rhysand had shown. "You look well for a man who was considered missing and dead for almost two years."

"I have this lovely lady to thank for that," Tamlin said, reaching back to slide his hand across Cin's back, signaling her to step forward. She curtsied and smiled warmly as Tamlin introduced her, "This is Hyacinth Fiore, my Lady of Spring."

Cin and Tamlin had discussed how Prythian would perceive her new status without their betrothal and how they might look down upon it. But Tamlin had assured her that he didn't care what others thought. He fully intended to marry her if she would have him; he simply didn't want to rush into it while they were still rebuilding the court. And Cin couldn't agree more.

Nonetheless, it led her to spend most days daydreaming about the lavish proposal he had promised her. Until then, Cin refused to shrink under her title or the weight it placed upon her shoulders.

"Welcome to my home, Lady Hyacinth," Tarquin's eyes sparkled with a genuine friendliness that Cin had sensed even before they met. The flowers were right about him.

"It's just Cin, my Lord."

"Then I'll insist you call me Tarquin, Cin," Tarquin nodded toward one of the sentries on the veranda. "Please show Tamlin's Chamberlain to the suite we've prepared."

They had packed enough clothes for the two-day stay and watched as Dannas was led from the veranda by two of the sentries. The remaining two Spring sentries, Quiet Jon and Rafe, positioned themselves beside the Summer sentries. It was a symbol of peace, a pledge of no hostility. The Summer sentries and Cresseida seemed surprised; Cin knew it was no longer a common practice. But everyone on the veranda understood its significance.

"We've prepared a light lunch for your arrival." Cresseida cleared her throat and gestured toward the table set up in the sunroom, to the side of the veranda.

"Thank you," Tamlin responded, then turned his attention to Tarquin as they strode toward the adorned table. "Tarquin, I want to start by expressing my profound gratitude."

"Oh, this meeting—"

Tamlin interrupted him, "No, for taking in my people. I have been nothing but unkind to you since you assumed your new role. Yet, you were gracious enough to protect my people when I couldn't."

"I have to assume you'd do the same," Tarquin replied sincerely.

"I would now." There was a hint of amusement in Tamlin's eyes.

Cin glanced around, leaving the High Lords to their conversation. She couldn't spot Varian, Amren's lover, anywhere. Cin knew that Cresseida would have informed her brother about their visit, which would be relayed to Rhysand in turn.

She wasn't overly concerned. They had prepared for this possibility. It was one of the reasons why they had fortified their borders first.

Stepping away from Tamlin's arm, Cin followed the Princess of Adriata to the table, taking a seat beside her.