The High Lord: Chapter Thirty One

It shouldn't be this difficult to simply say it. I'm a grown woman, and I don't even need Bron's permission. This is more about informing him of my intentions.

Cin took a deep breath, steeling herself. She had been rehearsing how to break the news to him all night.

"And then Mendes went down," Bron chuckled heartily. "One of these days, that man is going to get himself killed, and it'll be his own fault."

"Yeah," Cin spun her spoon around in the bowl of tomato soup, staring at it as if the soup itself would grant her the courage to navigate through the conversation.

The weather was finally warming up, not enough to shed layers at night but certainly not getting any colder. "Definitely his own fault."

"You okay? You've hardly touched your soup. It's not that bad, I swear." Bron kicked Cin under the table. He had been preparing dinners every evening without fail for the past week. Though the food was usually good, she was too nervous to eat. With her heart racing in her chest and her usual excitement about seeing Tamlin again.

"Yeah. Do you like the boots? They're lined with fur. The best on the market, or so I'm told."

"You've asked me about those damn boots twice now," he snorted. "Yeah, they're pretty cool. What's going on with you?"

"So, Tamlin is doing well." She knew it was futile, but she tried to steer the conversation.

"I've heard as much. He's been visiting the villages almost regularly now."

"Yeah," she straightened up in her seat. "He's in Surfinia until the day after tomorrow."

And then he'll be home for a few days before leaving for Orchis again. Bruno had sent word that they would need his help with one of the centers they were trying to establish for the orphans returning home from Summer. Cin had already informed Tamlin that she would accompany him. She wanted to see Abina again.

"And I received a letter—an invitation—to a ball he's hosting for you?" Bron's eyes narrowed. She had asked him not to do it, but Tamlin felt there was much to celebrate. Between the new household staff and Cin's upcoming birthday, at the very least. He didn't expect a large turnout, but he wanted her to be celebrated. She hoped he would seize this opportunity to rebuild his friendship with Bron and Hart because the merry men would follow whatever they decided.

"You should come. It'll be fun." She shrugged.

"I'd rather have a cake at home, like we always do." Bron exaggerated a sigh. "Why is he doing this any—"

"He's asked me to move in with him, to oversee the Manor when he needs to be away now that he has a full staff," Cin blurted out the words in one breath.

There, I said it. Tamlin wants me to move into the Mansion, she thought to herself.

It seemed like the only logical thing to do. She walked to the Mansion every day anyway, except for the days she went to the Fountain Market. It went without saying that Cin hoped if she stayed the night, they might finally have the chance to explore whatever had begun when Rhysand and Feyre had shown up at the Mansion almost three weeks ago. They had repaired and rebuilt every room, fulfilling Tamlin's desire for extra rooms. It was now up to Cin to decorate them.

Bron fell silent, his expression deadpan, before bursting into laughter. "You're joking, right? This has to be a joke."

Cin shook her head slowly, arms folded across her chest. "I'm serious. I've made up my mind. I just wanted to let you know."

"Why?" Bron asked.

"I've had a positive impact on his life, and I believe there's more I can do. Tamlin wants me to be there."