Chapter Twenty Three

Orchis, located along the eastern border of Prythian, was the furthest village from the Rose Mansion and also the largest in the Spring Court.

It had the highest number of displaced citizens compared to any other village in the court, both established and emerging. When Summer opened its borders to accept refugees, Orchus experienced a significant loss, with over seventy-five percent of its people leaving.

After the successful celebration of the second Saorsa Festival, Orchis had made the decision to commence the rebuilding process before reaching out to persuade its citizens to return. Cin had informed Tamlin about the slow progress in rebuilding, and following his triumph over the wraiths, he felt it was worthwhile to visit Orchis and offer any assistance they could. After the experience in Calla, they both understood that avoiding the frosty receptions wouldn't solve anything, despite how painful it was for Cin to witness.

After breakfast, Cin went home to inform Bron that she would be away for a few days. Although he wasn't pleased about it, he knew better than to try and stop her. He wished her safety and bid her farewell. When she returned to the Manor around lunchtime, she found Tamlin brushing a magnificent white Percheron horse.

He named her Lily. With her gleaming silver-white coat and near white-yellow mane, she was the most exquisite horse Cin had ever seen.

"I still can't believe you bought me a horse," Cin tried not to sound dismissive of the extravagant gift. She didn't even have a suitable place to keep the horse. Her house was too small, and the Manor's stable was still out of commission. Lily would have to roam the estate grounds.

Where I come from, when someone buys you a gift, you don't question it, Tamlin remarked, in his Beast form once again. He walked beside her on all fours while Lily, seemingly accepting the presence of the Beast that frightened the spring fae, behaved as if he weren't there.

"This must have cost a fortune," Cin shook her head, "Money that could have been used elsewhere."

Yet I chose to spend it on you, he pointed out. I don't want you to have to walk everywhere, especially when you don't have to.

"I have always walked everywhere."

And where did you go before? The market and then back home? He laughed, the sound echoing in her mind. You travel much more now, Cin. You shouldn't have to rely solely on walking. Accept Lily, she's yours now. Or at least, she will be when you need her. Otherwise, she'll be under my care.

"Of course, she's yours to look after," Cin snorted, glaring down at him. "I wouldn't know the first thing about caring for a horse, High Lord." She laughed. It was rare for her to be on the same level as Tamlin in this form, astride an animal that wasn't her own. A mischievous idea crossed her mind. "Well, let's see if you got your money's worth."

Cin gently spurred Lily, urging her forward, "Come on, smart girl! Let's show him what you can do!"

Tamlin laughed again, as Lily picked up her pace and bolted like a shooting star. A blur beside her, the Beast of Spring effortlessly matched the percheron's speed, while the dark-haired woman in the saddle giggled, her laughter echoing through the forest. Cin encouraged the horse to gallop at full speed, maneuvering through the forest with agility, leaping over brambles and tree roots, and swiftly navigating under low-hanging branches. Even when her thighs began to ache from gripping the horse's back tightly, she held on firmly.

As the sun dipped below the horizon and darkness enveloped the forest, Cin searched for a suitable camping spot. Despite the temptation to continue riding all night, she didn't want to risk an accident caused by Lily missing a hidden obstacle.