The Man: Chapter Twelve

She heard his footsteps even before the High Lord burst out through the open pine doors at the top of the courtyard steps. "Cin! I'm sure I told you not—"

In his hands, there were a dozen pink roses as he came to an abrupt halt, his gaze fixated on the external wall of the Manor. Cin had spent the entire morning growing rows and rows of pink and white roses that cascaded down the exterior walls.

"I think it adds a vibrant touch to the Manor," she grinned, feigning ignorance of the surprise on his face. Tamlin examined the wall, his jaw-dropping, then burst into hearty laughter. Cin shrugged half-heartedly. "If you don't like it, it's your own fault. You said I could decorate however I wanted. And this is what I want."

Shaking his head, more as a personal reflection than a direct response to Cin, Tamlin regained his composure. The roses in his hands were long forgotten as he spoke, trying his best not to hurt her feelings.

"I appreciate your...input, but this is still the High Lord's house, Cin." He sighed then amended. "You know what? Leave it. There's nothing wrong with a man living in a pink house, anyway."

"The house isn't pink. It's the flowers," Cin retorted, brushing her hands on the apron tied around her waist and then removing it. She peered up at Tamlin, anticipating him to inquire about why she had also bloomed pink roses in the foyer. She knew that was why he had ventured outside. The original plan had been to adorn the inner Manor with Baby's Breath and Thistle, including the banisters that lined the upper and lower staircases.

Staircases that Tamlin had repaired. Or rather, replaced. It had started with replacing the damaged steps, but he ended up substituting all of them with steps carved from boulders found in the valley behind the Manor.

Tamlin regarded Cin with a soft expression as if she unintentionally did something that warmed his heart or showed kindness. The warmth in his eyes ignited something within her and, as always, it altered the atmosphere between them.

Cin cleared her throat, unconsciously taking a step back from him. "This is all I can do today, though. One of my regulars still needs me to deliver some tea and assist with the festival preparations."

It was the second annual Saorsa Festival.

"Of course," he nodded, clasping his hands against his lower back. "Put in a good word for me while you're there?"

"Always," Cin replied, stepping around him to toss her apron through the open doors onto the vine-covered round table in the middle of the foyer. "Also, I've reconsidered, and I think your expansion plans are a good idea."

"Yeah?" Tamlin raised his eyebrows.

"I do. It'll provide us with more space, and I'm sure we'll make good use of it." Cin gave him a two-finger salute, spun around, and walked down the stone path. It wasn't until she reached the edge of the courtyard that she turned back to face the Manor. Tamlin was still standing in front of the pine doors, readjusting his man bun. Cin waved her hand in the direction of the newly built external wall, and the roses transformed from pink to green—the same shade as his eyes.

Tamlin whipped his head toward the wall at the sound of rustling petals and chuckled, rolling his eyes at the change in color. Cin winked at him as he glanced her way before she slipped out through the boundary gate.

It had been a struggle for him when he first shifted back to his fae form. He would stumble over seemingly invisible obstacles and complain of backaches if he stood for too long. But after a month, he had seamlessly settled back into his fae body. It certainly helped that he now ate three meals a day—dinners prepared by Cin, while Tamlin made his own breakfast and lunch.