Chapter Thirty Seven

"Good morning, birthday girl," Tamlin murmured against Cin's back the following morning, peppering her with soft kisses.

She suppressed the groan that threatened to escape her lips.

"Tamlin, we have things to do today," she giggled. "As much as I'd love to stay here with you, indulging in every inch of your body until the sun sets, we do have other responsibilities."

"They can wait," he whispered, kissing his way up her body and along her neck until he hovered above her, basking in the morning sunlight streaming through the open balcony. "You are so beautiful."

The words were gentle, spoken like a prayer, carrying nothing but love and adoration in his voice, his eyes, his soulful gaze.

"Just wait until I've bathed," she stretched up to plant a passionate kiss on his lips before pushing him off and wrapping herself in the silk bed sheet.

Tamlin's laughter trailed after her as she made her way to the bathing room across the sitting area. Although the layout seemed peculiar, with a sitting room situated between the bedroom and the bathing room, Cin knew that no one would likely ever be invited into those chambers anyway.

The cool marble tiles of the bathing room provided relief against the warm breeze wafting in through the open windows. The cold wintry nights had finally given way to the welcoming face of the warmer season.

As water flowed from the faucet into the claw-footed white tub, Cin rummaged through the cabinets beneath the dual sinks in search of soap for her bath. Some shampoo and conditioner would have been a nice addition too. However, the cabinets were stocked only with sponges, towels, and cleaning supplies.

She glanced around the room, but the wooden shelves above the tub stood empty. She would have to make her way to her own bathing room for supplies. Cin should have expected this when Tamlin insisted on decorating his own rooms.

"Oh, don't look so annoyed. I'm still restocking my bathing room," Tamlin strolled in, completely naked, holding an open box in his arms. He dropped the box on the floor and pulled out a bottle of bubble bath, pouring an excessive amount into the tub.

"That's definitely too much," Cin rolled her eyes in response.

"There's no such thing as too much bubble bath for you, anyway."

"For me, but not for you?"

"Yeah," he said, pulling out three purple bars, each labeled 'Lav. Shampoo,' 'Lav. Conditioner,' and 'Lav. Body Soap.' "I'm too manly for bubbles."

"Oh, well," Cin shrugged, reaching into the tub to test the water's temperature. "And here I planned to invite you into the bath, but you're too manly for bubbles..."

Tamlin raised an eyebrow, tilted his head, and then climbed over the rim of the tub, sinking into the water. With the water dangerously close to the rim, he turned off the faucet and extended a hand to Cin. She intended to sit on the opposite end of the tub, but the moment she grasped his hand, Tamlin rose to his knees, untied the bedsheet, and cradled her against his chest, lowering them both into the water. "In case you get any ideas about straying too far from me."

It took them thirty minutes to actually start washing themselves. Cin was seated between his legs, her back resting against his chest.

"What time are you going to see Bron?" she asked, lathering up a sponge with soap.

Tamlin rubbed the conditioner bar between his hands, working up a lather before replying, "Sometime after breakfast. I can't say how long I'll be there, to be honest."

"You're always honest," she smiled at him. "By the way, what's your family name? I don't think I know it."

"Why? Planning to take it?" he teased, threading his fingers through her hair and massaging the conditioner into her scalp. For a moment, Cin lost all sense of self, melting under his touch.

With lowered lids, she chuckled, "Are you asking me to?"

"Eventually," he leaned down to kiss her neck, then sighed. "It's Machere. But I'm considering using my mother's family name. My father was a tyrant whose rule I'd like to keep separate from my own."

"What's Iridessa's family name then?" Cin didn't need to think twice. Whatever her name was, if they ever got married, she would gladly take it. Iridessa embodied everything Cin aspired to be.

"Her family name was Primavera. It's an ancient name, passed down through generations of traditional women," he spoke with reverence and pride. Iridessa was an exceptional mother and a paragon of courtly tradition. Cin doubted that Tamlin had any inkling of Iridessa's undercover endeavors, and she had no intention of shattering the illusion he held of his mother.

"That's the name I want," Cin leaned into his touch as Tamlin expertly twisted her hair into a bun atop her head. "Where did you learn to style hair so skillfully?"

"I may not be your first lover, but I won't be your last," he flicked her neck playfully. "And that's a good thing because one of my exes, believe it or not, was a—wait, can you check Spring for spies?"

"Like, scan Spring?" Cin peered over her shoulder.

"Yes, see if there's anyone here who shouldn't be. Not other fae migrating to Spring, but fae sent here to keep tabs on me," he explained. "Because I'm certain Rhysand isn't the only one who's been keeping an eye on me. He may have been the boldest, but he can't be the only one."

Cin nodded, already considering which flowers to connect with. "Alright, I'll have an answer for you when you return."

"I'll add that to your list of secret duties then," he chuckled.

Knock, knock. The sound reverberated through the vacant sitting room and into the bathing room. It wasn't Kenai; his knocks were more akin to pounding. Tamlin's voice boomed across the space, "Who is it?"

A soft throat-clearing followed, and Vixra's voice answered, breathless as always, "Everly wants to know if you're joining her for breakfast, High Lord, or if she should prepare a light brunch for you and the Lady?" Cin couldn't help but feel sorry for Vixra, who seemed to be constantly on the move.

"I think you should hire a page," Cin giggled softly. "Poor Vixra is running errands for everyone when she should be stationed at the doors."

"Figure it out, Lady Tulip, and I'll hire all the staff needed to run a mansion," Tamlin sighed, then called out to Vixra, "We'll be down for breakfast soon, Vixra."

"Yes, High Lord. Thank you, High Lord," she panted and swiftly disappeared.

"Daily High Lord business," Tamlin sighed as he nudged Cin forward and submerged himself completely under the water.