Chapter Twenty Two

"Thank you, Astrella. Meet me at the river after dusk. I'll have a report for you and your sisters then," Tamlin called out to the hunched figure cloaked in shadows.

His words rode on the wind, drifting through the oak doors and down the steps to Cin as she ascended the staircase leading into the Manor.

"And the bodies," the cloaked figure wheezed sharply. Cin quickened her pace, almost sprinting through the open doors to find a water-wraith standing just a foot away from Tamlin at the base of the grand staircase. The wraith glanced over her shoulder, shooting a sharp and dangerous look at Cin. Water still dripped from her hair.

"Yes, I swear it," Tamlin responded, his posture tense as his eyes flickered between the wraith and Cin.

The wraith inclined her head in a low bow and strolled out of the Manor. Cin stepped aside, not wanting to get caught in the wraith's wake as she departed. Tamlin promptly closed the doors behind her, their resounding echo reverberating through the empty manor.

"What bodies?" Cin inquired, lowering her own frilly hood and unclasping her cloak, which had shielded her head from the scorching sun.

"I delivered a package to the wraiths this morning, informing them about what has been depleting their fish and my plan to address it. Astrella, the wraith who was just here, is their leader, and she sent three wraiths to verify the situation. Only one returned, injured," Tamlin replied with a heavy sigh. "I never wanted them to get hurt, but they wouldn't believe me without evidence. I promised to bring back the bodies of the two wraiths slain by the nagga."

"Will you be all right?" Cin felt a lump forming in her throat. She realized that although Tamlin was the High Lord, wielding all the power that came with the title, he hadn't utilized any of those abilities or his combat skills in years. In fact, he hadn't even walked until she had found him little over a year ago. She wouldn't say he was out of practice, but she feared he might be out of his depth.

"I suppose we'll find out," Tamlin replied.

"No," Cin shook her head, stepping in front of him to block his path. "I need more than that, Tamlin. I need reassurance that if things become precarious, you'll return here, and we'll find an alternative solution." She struggled to convey her concern without sounding like she had an enormous crush on him.

"Worried about me, are you?" A smile played on his lips.

"No," she swallowed hard, a flush blooming on her cheeks, "I just...I would prefer it if my efforts to rehabilitate you weren't wasted in a single afternoon, that's all."

It was partly a lie, or maybe not a complete lie, but it definitely didn't encompass the whole truth. It would indeed be disappointing if he died and all the time she spent helping him went to waste. However, there was more to it than that. Cin didn't want him to die. She couldn't imagine going back to a life where she didn't see him every day. Her existence had undergone too many changes already—losing her father—and losing Tamlin was something she didn't want to face.

"I promise I'll come back," he tilted his head, a mischievous grin forming at the corner of his mouth.

In an attempt to divert any further embarrassment, she nudged him toward the stairs. "Go on, gather your things."

Tamlin was grinning by that point. As he jogged up the first flight of stairs, then turned to ascend the second, he burst into laughter. Even though it seemed like he was laughing at her response, Cin cherished the sound, knowing that Tamlin was laughing once again.

Cin hurried to the kitchen, assembling light rations and stuffing them into her own satchel for him. As she poured clean water into the water skein, she heard his footsteps enter the kitchen.