[7.1] THE MASTER

•|•|•
"There is a whole world out there pup. Read to learn for wisdom is your greatest asset."
•|•|•

[Shade]

Madam Catherine said nothing further, turning around robotically the same way she came and I watched her quizzically.  My heart began that fearful beat within me, so many questions spurring in my mind, of why she would want me, or where she was taking me too.

My gaze lingered on Barnabas whose eyes glinted in an unknown emotion but I quickly moved after Madam Catherine.

My feet moved behind her trying to read her aura as I stared at her straightened back. She didn't seem particularly angry however there was a dread about her I failed to understand.

I was supposed to be the one who was afraid, so why did I sense fear in her?

I moved into the kitchen the smell of roasted meat immediately tackling my sense, my eyes remaining low, knowing feasting on the sight of Luciferous well-done meat would do nothing but pile hunger over my growing fear.

Following Madam Catherine, I was caught unaware when she turned toward the door that led into the court and not the one that led outside to the slave Quarters.

Warning bells rang in my head.

I was going into the Night Court! She was leading me into the very heart of it.

My heart began to beat faster with this realization, noticing that random pairs of eyes kept trailing to me, owned by the uniformed guards and the slave maids that wondered about me.

My eyes flashed back to Madam Catherine.

Hadn't she said I should blend in with the coal? That my life should consist of only the slave quarters and the furnace? Why then was I exposed to the Night Court?

My heart sank as I realized the reason. She must know what I did last night. She must know I sneaked into the Court. Could she smell the stone root coming off me? Was she headed to punish me in the abandoned towers of the west wing?

My fists tightened, trying to relieve the shake.

We climbed a flight of stairs, silence looming between the two of us as I tailed her into another large hallway, here slave court maids were scrubbing the huge floor with large brushes until it shined so bright you could see your reflection through it.

My eyes met that of Vale, who slowly looked up at the intruders from her scrubbing position, her eyes widening as I passed her by and so did that of Eve and Haven.

The only thing I could do was throw her an apologetic tear-filled look as we passed through the walls and to another set of stairs. I may not come down these stairs. I may be made an example.

I should have listened to Vale and now I was going to leave her alone in her worst Nightmare.

My hands clasped together to the front now, fingers shaking as I stared at the back of Madam Catherine's head. Her calm cool nature remained intact, walking with precise posture further up the stairs.

Stairs I began to recognize.

I froze in my tracks as the memory flashed, sucking in a breath. This couldn't be right. -  Could she? - Wait, could she be taking me back there?

She turned the corner out of sight, and I recollected myself, pushing my shaky body forward, catching up to her as she moved into what seemed like an abandoned hallway.

It was dark and airy, the torches more spaced out drawing out the darkness and the hallway thinner.

My eyes stuck to the front, settling on the crimson door we were steadily approaching, my heart an empty beat within me.