[13.1] A SECRET MEET

•|•|•
"And who will I trust mother, since I have no friends?"
•|•|•

[Master Gregory]

There was a strange ancient air that seemed to whistle through the trees of Valcane. One that brought in a scent of mystery and an echo of a warning I couldn't wrap my head around.

I looked up from the paperwork as the pigeon landed on the window sill, the sun shining brightly through as it cooed softly.

Getting out of my seat, I approached it, reaching for the bird. It remained cool and calm under my touch even as I untangled the note from its foot.

My eyes glazed over the short words encoded, my fists tightening around the small parchment.

Shutting my eyes at the news, I walked back to my desk, burning the paper into the singular candle fire, and then took a seat once more, and got back to work.

-------------------

It was nightfall when I walked out of the study, nodding to a pair of guards that bowed in respect when I walked past.

The slight night breeze wheezed by as I turned the corner past the open window of the farthest tower. A few more guards nodded my way as I moved through the dark hallways.

Descending a staircase in the tower, exiting into another empty dark hallway, a heavily cloaked figure stepping out of the shadows.

"Master Gregory," the young lad bowed lowly, handing me my dark cloak.

"Not here, Liston."

He nodded quietly with another bow before following me, our steps in rhythm. I threw on my dark coat and pulled the dark hood up. Shadows in the passageways hid our frames as we slipped between halls. Nothing but the sounds of our short breaths could be heard.

My eyes carefully glazed the corners of each hall, searching the shadows.

Nowhere was too safe.

Pushing the doors open, we descended further into the darkness, down another staircase to the dungeons. Quietly we marched passed the whispering of prisoners and wailing, the scent of blood and rusted metal vanishing as we moved further.

The way became narrower until we reached a barred door. Unlocking it, we maneuvered the old forgotten underground castle tunnels and then slipped into the opening, revealing the darkness of midnight outside.

"The light, Liston."

"Yes, master."

Soon enough the torch flickered in a singular flame. Liston dusted his coat, his face partly illuminated as he held it to his head. Strips of his golden locks pulled back into a bun as his blue eyes met mine.

"The horses are this way master." He continued, leading the way.

We moved further into the darkness until we reached a thicket of trees. As was stated, there the horses stood, neighing softly as we approached.

Wasting no time, we saddled and galloped off.

The wind beat at our faces as we raced through the Veldeon Forest. It took nearly a half hours horse ride to reach the Elders' house, off route from the main path, hidden by vines, lumbering trees, and overgrown bushes. Farther from any city or pack in the Night Wolf's territory and hidden to the eyes of everyone but those who know of it.

Reaching the small abode, we dismantled, tying our horses to the tree. I stared at the image of the lone cabin for a moment, studying its abandoned exterior.