[25.1] BOUNDERIES

•|•|•

"Why do you think they hide in the dark pup? Is It not a safety they seek, lest their own failure be revealed in the sun? Then they call the darkness evil, because because in it lies pieces of themselves they thought to conceal."

•|•|•

[KAYOS]

And Indeed I Had.

My eyes shifted from the fallen book, capturing hers.
Her heart hammered quickly within her as our gazes locked, but no sooner had I spoken, she broke contact and bent to pick it up.

"I wasn't- I wasn't expecting you. Not this soon," she replied breathily with a seemingly nervous smile. She glanced at me momentarily, whilst her fingers stretched toward the book.

I stared at her efforts for a moment, registering her weakness. It was something that could not be ignored.

Every time I saw her, it was laid bare before me. A taunting reminder that although the sight of the Keffer calmed my spirits, though her scent was dabolically sweet, though my wolf yearned for her touch, and though the mere thought of her had pulled me from drifting into the valleys of the endless, she was merely the rope thrown to me.

To survive I would have to find the one that held the rope down for me.

And the Keffer...

Two more books toppled over as she bent down to pick the first with a hard splat. The stack of books in her arms was far too heavy it seemed. Her gaze darted amongst the books, whilst her arms still full, adjusted and tried to recapture the fallen.

Was certainly not her.

I stood to my feet, the scrape of the chair loud in the quietness of my sanctuary and I could hear her breath hitch at my movement.

At least she was aware.

Standing before her, her heart beat faster, her gaze lifting to my feet and then drawing upwards to my eyes.

The stare was short. Seconds uncountable and yet, I marveled.

Perhaps it was because she, the wolfless girl, had stared at me with an emotion that had never been looked my way before. So rare that even I could not put a name to it.

A certain intrigue?- one she was able to mask as her gaze darted back to the floor.

I bent down, picking up the books, only a few inches away from her.

Her scent had always been a welcoming lure no matter how far I was from her, whether I was standing a row away hidden in the shadows, a few feet away as we spoke, or even now, where a mere space separated us.

But at our Proximity, a stifling want, a yearning to be wrapped in her scent grew unbearable the closer I got.

Especially when her eyes were watching me attentively, as my fingers curled around the hard books, placing them on top of her pile. Her gaze shifted as mine did, and it locked once more.

I was so sure she would look away. For though she had gotten braver with her eye contact, she could only hold it for a few seconds.

But this time, she lingered, her head tilting to the side, just

Staring-

My heart rammed within me whenever so slightly, her lips curled upwards. Her head tilted to the side as if studying me.