[9.1] A KEFFERS LUCK

•|•|•
"Do you think the Night Wolf has a heart little one? His part of the Prime wolf is dark, tis why the Moon hides his soul.
•|•|•

[Shade]

My breath paused low and shallow, my fingers as frozen as icicles clutched around my rag dress, as I stared straight ahead to the feet of the strange master that stood before me.

Confusion flooded my body, one that had been previously relaxed, having succumbed to my fate already.

I had simply made too many mistakes the past few days to deserve to take another breath. I had disobeyed Madam Catherine, let myself be seen by the dark shadow with amber eyes- whether that had been a trick of the light or not.

I had made noise in the master's library, a sanctuary they sought solace. Lit it up like it was midday on the hottest day of summer.

Then I had dared to look into the eyes of a master, not once but repeatedly and now- I had raised my voice, yelling at a ranked lord.

The only penalty that awaited me was death. It was what had always awaited me as a Keffer. No matter how hard I fought- no matter how many dreams I had of freedom, of the land beyond the sea.

I was supposed to be dead or severely punished to the point death would have been kinder, slaves were killed for far less and yet, here I knelt... still breathing.

A master offering his protection.

I blinked blankly at this, unable to comprehend if I had heard right, my fingers tightening around my dress.

"Did you hear me, Keffer?"

My body froze at the voice, drawing me back to reality, eyes clearing into the sight of his blurry robe that covered his sandaled feet slightly.

This couldn't be right.

Why would a master offer his protection? Was he trying to make a mockery of me?

If he was truly interested in me, he should know I have no choice but to be at his disposal, I had no rights over my own body, all he commanded I would do. He didn't have to offer anything in return.

It could be a trap. A trap to what? I couldn't say- but I could not believe a master would simply offer his protection to a Keffer.

My head bowed low, licking my dry lips.

But if he were honest, if his offer was true, what would he protect me from? He certainly had power over a lot of things as a master but from the Night Wolf?

He could only bow and tremble as everyone else did.

"Protection?" I whispered, my voice stale and hoarse, I smiled a little, though my mind was far gone. "A-ask master, I will answer. I am a slave- I will do your bidding. It is my punishment after all."

Silence loomed between us. My knees hurt from kneeling too long but that was the least of my troubles. I simply yearned for peace. I did not desire to leave Vale, but even she would understand that as a Keffer I never stood a chance.

I hated living in fear.

Perhaps the master would grant me a peaceful death.

Even if I was not killed today, if I did not manage to escape, or even worse, was caught escaping I would die a horrible death. Either by the guards or the night wolf himself.

"I know you are a slave-" he gritted out.

My heart pounded at this, he sounded angry-

He moved toward me until he was directly in front of me, my gaze immediately dropped further to the floor, and my breathing was low and harsh.