[41.1] THE 8TH NIGHT WOLF (part-two)

[SHADE SHADOWS]

•|•|•

Who else wields magic? Is it only witches?

•|•|•

A mage Wolf.

I study the lines on my open palms, staring at my hands momentarily.

My gaze shifts to the pages of the book, picking it up, tracing over Xirrians words, again and again as if they could eat me alive.

The dead flower blooms in his hand.

My head leans back against the shelf, taking deep breaths in until my heart steadies, and then my eyes lift to the open window watching the rain as the memories flood my mind.

Her curse is worse than mine.

I feel numb.

I do not recollect the first time I found out what I could do. I've always had it. It isn't something that I just figured out. Even after I lost my memories, my power didn't feel abnormal.

I thought everyone could do it.

Though I don't remember how I discovered I had this power, my memories remind me of the first time AMA did.

It was a discovery for her, but for me, although I held no recollection of who I was, or had been, the action was natural and not at all different.

I close my eyes letting out a breath.

I swear I can still hear the soft fall of new snow, the feel of clean light sheets around me, those I forgot to cherish —and the low lull of AMA's voice.

————————

I watched the snow blanket the world outside from my perch by the window. It had long stopped snowing. The outside world was calm and only the soft cotton-like substance sat across the ground where the grass used to grow.

It was cold, but not as cold as days often got these past few months.

I smiled at this, turning as AMA walked in.

"Can I go outside?" I asked, my smile wide and hopeful.

AMA glanced at me with a bundle of sheets, clothes, and blankets in her arms. She sat down, folding.

"It is too cold, Shade."

My eyebrows furrow, and I frown, my eyes never leaving the snow, "But Vale's outside. She's gone into the forest."

AMA nodded, "Vale has a wolf now, so She can stay warm when the snow falls. And her wolf is young. It needs to run at least once a week during winter."

"Oh." I purse my lips.

Vale can do a lot of things because she has a wolf now

She can suddenly run faster, and she always wins at hide and seek. It is not fair, she says it is because she can smell me.

She is always first to hear AMA come home from the patrol long before I do.

Silence consumes us.

"Come here, Shade." AMA calls, "Help me fold."

I get up from my longing, shuffling to her. Kneeling before her, I begin to fold.

I can feel her eyes on me, watching me attentively.

I want her to know I am angry, so I keep my frown on.