[10.1] A KINGS FRIEND

•|•|•
"You will be silent to your omega's, you will bow to your beta, and kiss the feet of your Alpha. But to your King Keffer? You are not even worthy to pass a breath."
•|•|•

[Shade Shadows]

"Oh, Selene! You've returned!" Vale screeched, throwing her arms around me as soon as I walked through the doors of the slave quarters, sweaty, tired with dust littered against my brow.

I could barely breathe in her tight squeeze, a small smile grazing my face, glancing over her shoulder as she spoke.

"I was sure- so sure that you were in some sort of trouble. Thank Selene you're back, I worried about your return," she sniffed, her voice slipping, breathing deep and heavy against me.

My eyes glazed over the slaves that looked our way, whispering slowly among themselves. I pulled away from her, calmly speaking lowly just for her to hear, "I suppose I thought so too, but this is not the place to discuss it."

Her eyes were red and soggy, her eyebrows arching in confusion. She turned slightly, noticing the growing eyes on her as a result of hugging a Keffer. She turned back to me in frustration,

"And you think I care?" She sniffled, wiping her nose.

"I was worried! I thought I would never see you again." she gritted out, staring me dead in the eye.

I swallowed dryly, understanding her pain.

Vale was emotional, but I could barely blame her in such a situation. She was the only person I had to love and so was I for her. Leaving her alone in the very house of the Night Wolf was unfair. But if we were to escape from here, we couldn't let our feelings derail our plan.

I grabbed her by the hand, leading her out of the slave quarters, in the hidden shadows of the corridors.

She pulled out of my grip, frustration laced in her every word, "I want to know what happened! Where did Madam Catherine take you? What did she say? Does she know that you went to the"

I cut her off, by clasping a hand over her mouth, head bowed as an omega guard passed by, grunting to himself about the smell of the slave quarters.

I watched as he disappeared around the corner. She pushed my hands off her face, folding her arms, her gaze square, lips a firm line.

Sighing, with the knowledge that it was my fault I had frightened her, even though to be fair, I was quite worried for my life as well in that instance, I was able to calmly explain all that happened, and she listened attentively. I told her of the strange master and his strange request to which her eyebrows arched in deeper confusion.

"Do you truly believe he is of good intentions, Shade?" She huffed, disbelief in her tone, "it pains me to say, but Valcane will never be so good to Keffer's and slaves. Tell me you have not already forgotten how even omegas behaved towards us, and our fellow slaves! Do you truly think, accepting this offer of his is what's best for you? Since when did the Night Wolf care about the likes of slaves to order a study of us? It could be a trap for Selene's sake! You said he told you to look into his eyes! That could have you hanging in the gallows!"

"And you think I have a choice, Vale?" I cautioned, my voice straining slightly though I tried to keep it low. "A master asks this of me, and he offers his protection, and if I tell him no.." I trailed off.

"How is that of any benefit to me?"

Her lips were pursed in a thin line as I continued to speak.

"Do you not think I have doubts? Of course, I know Valcane has never been kind to me and it will never be to those of my kind but if he truly desires to see me end." I trailed off.