[18.1] A ROGUES FRIEND

•|•|•
"Do you think life is fair, pup?
Walk amongst the slaves. Listen to the crack of the whip against their naked backs, their sharp wails as their blood splatters against the edge of the silver blade. You will know then."
•|•|•

[Vale]

I scrubbed hard at the stain that refused to budge, furiously grunting at it, knuckles turning white.

She wouldn't even let me get a word in!  Such a hot-headed girl!

I ferociously wrung the mop, going back to scrubbing, and grinding my teeth together. My guess is we're sore hit I was used to the pain now.

Selene, she never listens! What happened to doing this together? But no- Shade's got everything handled. Shades got it all under control.

I scoffed, scowling as I mopped ignoring my aching arms.

She would land herself into a pile of trouble, that's right! Trouble. And then what will I do? How will I help her then? Why can't she just let me in-

"Vale—"

"What?!" I growled, my wolf showing for a brief moment as my eyes snapped to a wide-eyed Eve.

The requisites of my actions immediately gripped me, as my body ran cold, afraid of the consequences of talking out of line.

It was only Eve but had it been anybody else, I would have regretted this moment for the rest of my life.

She froze with a soapy bucket of water cradled in thin arms, a smudge of dirt against her bland cheeks, staring back at me with those big eyes of hers. She pursed her full lips as she shuffled backward a bit.

Her gaze dropped to the floor and guilt raced through me, shame for barking at her.

Compared to Shade, I wasn't the bravest. I was considered soft-spoken by most but compared to Eve, I simply had never met anyone nicer.

I felt awful for yelling at her.

She was much like me in many ways, gentle and kept mostly to herself whenever she wasn't being sent around by Haven or Idah.

I paused, letting out a soft sigh as I rested on my heels, pushing a thin strand of my hair backward.

"I'm sorry, Eve. I didn't mean to yell-"

"I-It's okay." She hummed, offering me a small smile as she peaked from her eyelashes.

I often admired the length of them. Eve was prettier than most. Red rosy hair and plump lips, it was simply ill fate that she was here with us. It still bothered me she was- and I couldn't for the life I understand why she slaved.

She had no rogues scent about her like most slaves. She did not carry a dead look in her eyes as if she had been rejected and yet here she was, scrubbing these floors amongst us.

I managed to smile back at her, and she sat beside me, scrubbing. 

Watching her for a moment, I returned to work.

A pair of guards marched by and my eyes darted to them whilst my heartbeat increased slightly as metal clanged against the floors leaving large dirty bootprints.