[16.1] THE DIAMOND RAVEN

•|•|•
"Who knows of your gift child? Have you told another soul?"
•|•|•

[Shade Shadows]

"Then again, who wants a few extra hours of their nightmares?" I chuckled, glancing over at him.

My eyebrows drew in when I noticed he wasn't where I thought he was standing only paces away.

Turning, I paused my dusting for a bit, searching for the master. How quickly could he have moved? He was here not a second ago.

"Master?" I called out.

I tried to see if he had moved to another row or just moved out of sight, craning my neck to take a peak whilst nervously clenching the dusty cloth.  I searched for the brooding master but he remained out of sight, not bothering to answer my calls.

Could he have just left without even as much as a goodbye?

"Master?!" I called out again for the last time.

When only an echo and silence responded, I concluded that I had indeed been abandoned.

"Just like that," I  muttered beneath my breath turning back to my dusting. He had no manners at all.

Relieving my thoughts from him,  I kept dusting, recalling all he said to me.

He talked of the Harbor and trade done with men.

I pursed my lips trying to think of a way to solve my problem.

I had to learn where the items traded were packed and who took them to the port. Heck, I needed to know the direction of the port, I had no idea how to get there.

Letting out a loose sigh, I packed a few more books but I was lost in my thoughts, thinking of ways to end this torture. My days were numbered in this court, even if they had been slightly extended by the master.

This escape was going to be more complicated than I thought.

At least when I was back in the Night Moon pack I had a map.

Though I still had it, the routes were certainly different. And the map was limited to the packs I had to pass before reaching the seas from the Night Moon pack.

It would have taken us less time to get to the port there than it did from the Night Court. My rough estimate would be at least 3 more days added to the already week-long journey. Give or take.

Of course, if we had wolves we could shift into, the time estimated could easily be cut in half but sadly, Vale and I had no such luxury. I had no wolf and if Vale shifted her scent could be tracked faster than if she remained human.

If only we had another map, that would be helpful.

A loud caw got me spinning around, catching the sight of a bird flying through the high window.

I watched as the raven flew right by me, perching on one of the master's study desks in the library.

It hopped to the edge of the table, studying me with its beady eyes, head crooked to the side.