❀ Chapter 6 ❀

❀ Elizabeth ❀

When I woke this morning my feet were in such a dreadful state of soreness that I wondered if I lopped them off with a machete it might lessen the pain. A night of dancing, I now know, is extremely hard on one's feet. But that is nothing compared to the discomfort of listening to the hours upon hours that Aunt Tufton and Bea have discussed Lord Westworth's dance partners. On the way home in the carriage there was no other topic approached. And this morning they have talked of little else.

At first, their discussion was very focused on the fact that Lord Westworth chose me for the first dance. There is, apparently, some long standing tradition that he picks the girl who will be most popular for the season and dances with her first at the Almack's ball. This is obviously codswallop, pardon my language, considering that he chose me. A more unlikely popular girl did not attend the ball last evening. I have no money, no family, no connections, no skills, or talents. It would be foolish to think I could be marriable, let alone 'much desired'.

And yet, I tap my chin, my dance card was full, which was as close to a miracle as I have ever been. Even a more impressive event than the time I fell out of a tall tree and did not die. I should not have been climbing so high, but I was testing gravitational pull and my data required for me to be very high up. My foot slipped and I was sure I was falling to my death, as I plummeted. But right before I landed, a branch hooked a hole in the hem of my dress and I dangled until Mr. Havisham pulled me down. Mrs. Havisham said it was a miracle that I didn't land on my head and die. I wish I could tell them both about my full dance card because they would be so surprised that their 'wild girl' was so popular.

After much discussion, my aunt and cousin now think the first dance was nothing at all. The fact that Lord Westworth danced with Bea twice is the remarkable event of the night. They speculate that he is considering proposing to her. I tried to tell them that he is not interested in a wife currently, but I was rebuked. "Nonsense! That is just something men say until they find the lady they plan to marry. He would not dance with Beatrice twice if he wasn't interested in her. Did he dance with you twice? No, he did not." So evidently two dances beats the first dance, if it all were a game.

We are fed, dressed, and waiting for visitors in the salon. I'm wearing a very ugly burnt orange dress that seems to have had the same butcher/seamstress as the last dress. It is a dark blue swatch of cloth across the hem this time. My aunt is positive we will have many visitors this morning after we were so admired by Lord Westworth last night. Bea is counting on Lord Westworth himself visiting, which she declares will be a sign of his interest in her. She has decided to wear a dress very near the yellow of mine last evening. The color does look a bit better on her than it does on me. But it is difficult to look directly at it because of its brightness.

Before bed last night I washed Edmund's cravat and hung it in front of the fire to dry. I was not able to press it but it is not much wrinkled. I have it folded next to me so I can return it, if he does indeed visit. 

There are trays of cookies and cakes set out, ready for the visitors. The maid brings in tea and Lady Tufton pours a cup for me and Bea.

Much to my surprise, Aunt Tufton was correct. We have had a stream of visitors all morning. Sometimes so many that there are not seats for everyone. The topic of discussion is the same regardless of who is here in the salon, Lord Westworth and his dance partners at last evening's ball. So after hours of discussing this topic, we will now discuss it, at length, with strangers. Well, at least they are strangers to me. I repeatedly need to hide my yawn with my gloved hand. My aunt has noticed and has frowned at me to stop. 

It is surprising to me that these women do not even change topics when gentlemen are present. The gentlemen cannot be interested in Edmund's dance partners. Several of the men who visit I recognize from last evenings dance. I wonder if they are as interested in me as they seem or if they are persuaded to feign interest because of the first dance. I am currently reciting Physics formulas in my head to keep from falling asleep.