❀ Chapter 22 ❀

After luncheon, several ladies move to the music room to practice their pieces for this evening. Regina catches Edmund's mother's attention. "Lady Westworth, did you not promise Miss Cavendish a tour of the portrait gallery? I am positive she will want to hear all the stories of Edmund's ancestors." She smiles so prettily that no one would suspect she had an ulterior motive. I believe she does not want me to have time to practice my 'musical piece' which she has no idea is not musical and that I have already practiced.

Lady Westworth is agreeable to the tour of the gallery but she insists that Regina joins us. We all three go upstairs to a long thin room with walls covered in old portraits. Edmund's mother tells riveting stories of Edmund's ancestors as we move around the gallery. I have many questions and observations and I believe Lady Westworth thoroughly enjoys our time together as much as I do. 

Regina does not have much stamina for old stories and only three portraits along she sits down on a couch. About halfway through, she excuses herself. Perhaps she thought I would find the old stories tiring also. But with no family tales of my own, my father refused to talk of his history, I find that I am starved to know about the Westworth family.

Nearing the end of the gallery, I can see that Lady Westworth is tiring. "Milady, would you like to rest before supper? We can finish our gallery tour at a later time."

"I do not want to cut the stories short if you want to continue my dear." I think she is saying this for my benefit, not hers.

"I find that I am in need of a rest also, the archery must have worn me out."

She looks grateful, "Of course dear. We will continue another time."

"Let me escort you to your rooms, Lady Westworth." 

We were already arm in arm and now she pats my hand, "Thank you dear." As we walk to her rooms I realize I have not been in this part of the house, it is the family wing. As we walk down the hallway she asks, "Have you ever considered being a companion, Miss Cavendish?" I suck in my breath. That question hits me too close to home. "You would be much desired, dear, if that was of interest to you."

"Thank you, Ma'am. I will keep that in mind." Her rooms are bright and beautiful. She sits in a cozy looking chair and I pull the cord for her maid, at her request. "I had a lovely afternoon, milady. I look forward to continuing our conversation at supper"

---

I made it through supper. Mr. Goddard acted as if the incident at the archery field did not happen, which I appreciated. But his stories only reinforced to me how arrogant he is. He relayed several of him as a child, he was always the hero. And he told several about how much he has helped people in his congregation. I decided partway through dinner that I really do not like Mr. Goddard and cannot see myself marrying him. So I decided to tell him about my study of science and mathematics. He did not have the reaction I anticipated.

"Miss Cavendish, that is amazing. It sounds like a God-given talent to have such an interest and be so good at something like that. Your future husband will likely have the smartest wife in the county!"

So now I am reconsidering crossing him off of my list. If he is accepting of my study of science, perhaps I could put up with his conceited personality? Maybe in time it won't annoy me as much as it did today.

We are walking to the music room now, instead of the parlor. The men are to join us soon. I hear Regina make a snide remark about me sneaking off so I don't have to perform when I go to fetch the poetry book from the library. 

In the music room, someone has set up extra chairs with the couches for viewing the performances. I make sure that my aunt and Lady Westworth find comfortable seats on couches before finding a seat myself. There is a raised platform to one end of the room with a grand piano and several stringed instruments laid out.