❖ Chapter 28 ❖

As I come down the stairs from delivering friends and supper to Lizzy, still chuckling over their squeals of laughter as I left the room, I see Jonathan waiting for me in the foyer. "Reverend Goddard, what can I do for you?" I anticipate him asking about Lizzy's condition since I have just come from her room and he has yet to inquire how she is faring after he endangered her this morning.

"I was hoping to speak to you on a sensitive topic, Edmund. Is there someplace we could have some privacy?"

This has my interest, "Yes, my study is this way. If you would follow me."

We enter my office and I perch myself on the edge of my desk, crossing my stretched out legs in front of me as I wave him into a chair. It is a bit of a power move as I will be towering over him for this conversation. "What can I help you with, Jonathan?"

He chuckles lightly as he sits, "It feels odd to be approaching someone for advice. I am usually the one offering counsel. But as it is about a subject I admit that I have little experience with, I hope you will be able to give me insight." I look at him steadily, waiting for him to say something of substance. "I was wondering how long is appropriate to wait after meeting a lady before proposing to her. Is a week enough time? I don't remember ever being taught there was a minimum."

This is not what I expected him to ask about. And why did he pick me of all people? I have never been engaged. I pull my lips into my mouth and furrow my brow before responding. "Mr. Goddard, are you suggesting that there is a lady you have known for less than a week but are already thinking of proposing to her? Even before courting her for any length of time?" 

My question is meant to put him in his place but his smile of relief shows it did not have the intended effect. "Yes, precisely. How long must I wait?"

I try not to let my annoyance show, "Certainly longer than a week." His face drops. "Who, pray tell, is the lady?" If he says Lizzy, I swear....

"Why, Miss Cavendish, of course. I thought you already understood my deep regard for her." He looks at me quizzically like I am silly to ask.

My hands form fists at my side. "Miss Cavendish." The tone of my voice shows that I don't think I could have possibly heard him correctly. He nods. "The same Miss Cavendish you nearly killed this morning while attempting to teach her to ride." He looks a little sheepish now, but gives a half nod. "Miss Cavendish, who you so inappropriately scolded at the archery field yesterday." My voice has raised now and his smile is completely gone. "Jonathan, do you perhaps not comprehend that the lady you court must desire to marry you, or at least should enjoy your company?" My fists relax with the truth of what I am saying. Lizzy despises him, she would never have him. "I do not believe Miss Cavendish would appreciate your proposal, Jonathan. You should always be assured of a 'yes' answer before proposing or you could tarnish a lady's reputation."

He stands now, seemingly uncomfortable with the truth, "But that is the beauty of it! I thought I would have to win her over, but I have been informed that Miss Cavendish is desperate for a husband. She has almost accepted a position in service. If she doesn't find a suitor soon, she will be a governess before the month is out." He looks triumphant, "So she will certainly accept me, if only out of desperation."

I cannot believe the words coming out of his mouth, "And this arrangement is agreeable to you? Having a wife that does not like you?"

He is not contrite in the least, "Many marriages start with little love. I am hopeful that Elizabeth and I will learn to love one another, the longer we are married."

I look at him steadily, "Why her?" His eyebrows come up as if he doesn't understand my question. "Why are you so fixated on Miss Cavendish? Why is she the one you must marry?"