❀ Chapter 20 ❀

Edmund has disapproval on his face when he calls from the outdoor stone stairs, "Lizzy! What are you doing out here?"

Tanner says behind me, "See?! I knew he would miss ya!"

Edmund comes down the gravel walk toward us. Apart from the lantern Tanner is holding behind me, it is dark so I think Edmund can't see me well. I am hoping the tear stains are nearly gone from my cheeks. I really don't want to explain it all to him.

Edmund is upon us now, "I was detained by Lord Sanderson who wanted to discuss... er... something... and when I came through you weren't in the parlor. I was told you had not arrived yet. I was worried Lizzy, where did you go?" What do I tell him? In my hesitation he says, "You really shouldn't be out here at night, alone."

I try not to roll my eyes, is there a script they are all reading from? "I am not alone. Tanner insisted on accompanying me back to the house."

Edmund reaches over and pats Tanner on the shoulder, "Good man, Tanner."  You can see in Tanner's face that he lives for Edmund's approval.

Tanner looks at Edmund, "Will there be anything else, Sir?" Edmund shakes his head and says, "No, you can head in for the evening, Tanner."

Tanner bows, "Night, Sir." Then looks at me, "Night Miss, hope you feel right as rain soon."

I catch my breath and try not to shakes my head as he turns and runs off. He probably doesn't know he is giving away my secrets. I call, "Good night." I hold my breath and think perhaps Edmund won't ask about it.

Edmund furrows his brows as we walk toward the front door. "You are upset?" Of course I am not so lucky. Thank you so much, Tanner.

Perhaps a change of subject. "Did you know that Tanner doesn't know how to read?"

Edmund is still frowning, "Not directly, no. But it doesn't surprise me, I think most who come from his situation do not know how to read."

I stop at the bottom of the stairs to the front door and take Edmund's forearm in both my hands and implore him, "Couldn't you hire a tutor? One that could teach your servants to read? I love reading so much, I can't imagine not having the ability."

Edmund's look softens, "Lizzy, you are kind to care about Tanner. But I am not sure everyone requires the ability to read."

I'm not giving up. "But it will enrich their lives! It might give them an improved ability to do their jobs and more opportunities to get better positions."

Edmund rubs my shoulder, "I will consider it. Now tell me why you were upset. Did Mr. Goddard say something to distress you? I can send him home, if needed." His voice seems hopeful that I will agree as we walk up the stairs and through the door.

I purse my lips before speaking, I will not mention Regina. Somehow I doubt he would send her packing. "No, Mr. Goddard was pleasant to talk with. But he did give away my cake before I even managed a second bite. I may not be able to forgive him for that."

Edmund chuckles, "Well, that is a grievous crime indeed, on his part. It sounds as if you are holding it against him. I only hope he can do enough to recover from it. Will you come back into the parlor? Everyone is missing you."

"I'm sure you are exaggerating, Edmund." I pause to think. "No, I am going to go to bed now. I have my book waiting for me upstairs." I start up the stairs.

Edmund looks displeased, "Are you sure? Everyone will be disappointed." I don't mention that Regina will likely be the opposite of disappointed.

"I am sure. Good night, Edmund."