❖ Chapter 29 ❖

Having Lizzy on my left and Beatrice on my right in the phaeton reminds me of our ride in Hyde Park, several weeks back. It feels like ages ago and yet Bea's feathers still attack my face as they did then.

I have been wanting to ask Lizzy about Regina's treatment of her. Mostly I want to know why she wouldn't tell me. But we have not had the opportunity and I wonder if we will.

We are riding down a country lane along the side of Beaumont land. I have kept our destination secret from them until now. "We are going to a residence on the far side of my property, which is easier to access by roads than through the lavender fields. It is the dower house, where my mother will live when I marry." Beatrice's eyes light up at this revelation, so I feel it necessary to add, "I have no plans for its use for many years." She seems disappointed at this news and I wonder who she has in mind for me to marry. "The property has been much neglected over the last years since it was lived in. I had the idea recently of making some improvements to it. The new caretakers arrived just yesterday so I thought we'd come check in with them today."

I navigate through the iron gates and down an overgrown drive to the sweet brick house that my grandmother lived in for years before her death. I tie up the horses and help the ladies down but the guests of honor are already exiting the house. I hear Lizzy squeal of disbelief, "Henry?! Charlotte?!"

I watch with joy as she runs into the embrace of Mr. and Mrs. Havisham. All three of them have tears running down their faces as the older couple hug her and say, "There's our girl," and tell her how much they missed her. They also inquire about her hurt arm which she brushes off as nothing. 

"The doctor says it is just a bruise. It will be better in no time. I cannot believe you are here! I feel I may be in a dream. The best dream I have had in recent days!"

Moments later Lizzy turns to me, still with tears running down her face. "Thank you Edmund! This is the best surprise you could have given me!" and tackles me with a one armed hug.

I rub her back and produce a handkerchief for her happy tears. "You are welcome Lizzy, go enjoy your visit." Her emerald eyes look up at me with gratitude as she mops her cheeks. I record the image in my mind so I never forget the beautiful sight of her in this moment. It is, after all, what I've been imagining all morning.

She brings Beatrice with her to make introductions, "This is Henry and Charlotte Havisham, they practically raised me. This is my cousin Beatrice Tufton, her family has so graciously taken me in." I refrain from raising my eyebrow at her exaggeration. There is nothing gracious about the paltry amount of time and energy the Tuftons are giving to Lizzy.

I want to give them some time to talk in private, no doubt Lizzy will want to reminisce about her father. So I turn to Beatrice, "Miss Tufton, shall we take a short walk down the lane while they have their visit?" She agrees and the three of them disappear into the house.

Beatrice doesn't comment on the familiarity of Lizzy's hug and I am grateful for that. I find her easy company as she does more than her share of the work in the conversation. We make a plan to set up croquet this afternoon. She is sure that Daniel and James will help with it. Then we chat about archery, charades, the musical performances, the guests. I notice Beatrice is more complimentary to Regina than I would have thought, given my new revelation of how Regina has treated Lizzy.

When we return a half hour later, Mrs. Havisham has tea for the ladies while Mr. Havisham and I go back outside to discuss the repair work that needs to be done to the house and outbuildings.

We finish our discussion with a plan for procuring needed supplies. As we walk back Mr. Havisham says, "Thank you for bringing Beth to visit. I can't tell you how much we have missed our girl. Everything happened so quickly when Lord Cavendish died and Mrs. Havisham has cried herself to sleep many times in the months since we have seen the sweet girl."