Chapter 2- As One Would

"Where did that Abe fellow go?" The Headmistress asks as we stroll out her office and down the hall. Passing the exam room I was in and seeing Professor Klein still going over the material.

"He left while I was taking the exam." I answer.

"Well, does your GrimFather know where you are?" Another question.

"He will. When he does, he'll come and we will go back to reading last rites. Or he won't and I'll breeze through this like I did high school." I sigh, I did miss him. He was all I ever knew after that massacre.

"Do you like being a Grave Digger? Does it fulfill something in you?" The headmistress toddling beside me as we walk down the stairs to the courtyard. Passing a few returning students that eyed me strangely.

"Im proud to be a Grave Digger." I say as I place my hat on top of my head. The wide black brim stretching and blocking any sun from touching my face. As I was taller than the Headmistress it shaded her as well. The tip of the hat reaching down to the back of my knees like a witches hat.

"I'm sorry to be asking so many questions. I haven't seen a grave digger in thirty years. I was ten years old when I saw a man walking away from my fathers funeral wearing a hat similar to yours. Do you always have to wear the hat?"

"Yes." I nod. "Of course there are exceptions. When it's raining or when I have to dry clean." I say jokingly which earns me a chuckle from the tiny woman. "And yes black is also a marker of our profession. Most of my wardrobe is black, to symbolize a grave diggers close relationship with death of course."

"When don't you where black?" She asks.

"In the shower." The reply quick and she scoffs lightly hitting my arm.

"Hush you!"

Walking calmly through the courtyard until we were on the path to the Obsidian House. The path was hard to walk through with the roots that stuck up from the ground. The thick trees close together and the canopy of leaves above our head refused to let any sunlight through.

The headmistress laughs nervously. "I feel a little embarrassed at how poorly this pathway is maintained. I should really look into this."

We make it to the rusty iron gates of the apartments. I go ahead pushing the gates aside and let's myself in. Walking the worn out path of cobblestone that broke at the force of Mother Nature. Weeds and flowers pushing up and nearly engulfing the stone path.

We could see how well the apartments fitted the name. Obsidian House was exactly that, deep and as black as obsidian, the higher windows to the apartments however brightly mirrored back the blue sky.

"Obsidian is said to spiritually represent protection, a shield of sorts. People today use obsidian, for tools, weapons, or mirrors. That's fascinating to me. Rubies are sometimes used for medical instruments or making lazers, but that's mostly in civilian zoned areas. Sapphire's are have industrial uses, mechanical and electrical, more than that of course." I ramble on as I stroll onto the property. Trees lining the apartments, almost like a wall between here and everyone else on campus.

"Are there any you know for emeralds and diamonds?" The headmistress prods on.

"Well, we all know diamonds basically are used to self sabotage," I chirp which makes the headmistress let out a truly loud and hearty laugh. "I'll let you know if I find anything on emeralds."

Walking into the building noticing how truly dark the structure was. "The building is of course concrete but Madam Jacqueline wanted everything to look perfect. So she lined the building with panels to make the house look like it's made from obsidian. It's the same for the other apartments and there respective gems."