Chapter 28- Divine Right

Joaquin

I left Elias in the hospital, officially drained from her tantrum. Rubbing my arms feeling a slight ache in my forearms. Admittedly Elias was stronger than she looked and keeping her locked down was a challenge.

Sam is going to need to eat more.

Walking back to the group I see Ms. Penelope speaking with Juni. The boy keeping his head down, wringing his hands together as nervously as always.

Approaching them I place my hand on the child's shoulder. He turns, his eyes widening and he bares his neck to me.

"Elias is at the hospital, keep her company for me will you?"

He nods to me before dislodging himself from his headmistress and he walks off. Ms. Penelope tutting to herself.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"I tried to get Juni to talk more about the patients at the hospital. It would seem as if this sickness is transferable if we try to heal them. But Elias-"

"Is immune." I finish her sentence.

"She is?" Her eyes widening behind her thick frames. "So she is the anonymous donor."

"Yes." I nod.

"My plan was to assist and heal the injured civilians, but the poison may prove to be more of a challenge. I'll talk to Elias, I may need her help." She turns. "I hope you can get the cure here quickly."

"They're still in production. They'll send as much as they can soon." I offer but she shakes her head.

"You saw Juni's face." She pauses. "We need a solution now! I'm going to see Elias."

"I'll send a guard with you, we don't need her getting angry again." I say.

"I'll be fine. We don't have a hostile relationship. Elias does see reason even if her gaze has been controlled by someone less reasonable." She says her gaze lingering on Kendric who stood on his own smoking a cigarette underneath his flattop.

"About that." Newfound frustration singing

"Don't do it Joaquin!" Penelope grabs my arm with a look of warning on her face.

"I know Kendric." I state firmly, looking at her hard but her gaze held nothing but alarm.

"I know...that if he so desires, he will absolutely end you for questioning his authority on his GrimDaughter." Her hold tight on my wrist.

"Elias wasn't meant for this life." I say softly. "Kendric had his reasons sure. But look what he does when she's out of control! He cheers!"

"Damn fucking right I cheer!" Kendric interjects and Penelope sighs slowly backing away. Releasing my wrist, shaking her head as she turns and walks in the direction of the hospital.

"Do you even understand how to be a father Kendric?" I turn on him and he laughs.

"I'm there for my daughter in her brightest and darkest moments." He lifted his chin at me smoothly smoking his cigarette.

"Why didn't you stop her?" I walk towards him stopping just a few feet away.

"There was no stopping her." He reverberates back to his Ugandan accent fluidly. "You think I would stand in the path of the wrath of a woman? A woman I trained to be lethal and brilliant!"

"She is lethal alright!" I scoff. "She almost killed him, and then what? We would have no answers on his father, or what he's doing! She's reckless because of you!" I yell, the spirits around us smiling and Kendric laughs at my uncomfortable expression.