Chapter 17- Suffocate

Juni and I danced around the hospital room, wearing our hospital gowns in reverse with t-shirts and sweatshorts underneath that the medical ward gave us.

Our arms linked as we spun around each other singing loudly. Leaning on each other as we performed dramatically, the nurses and some students peaking their heads in and laughing. But Juni was really smiling this time, sparkly stickers that we ran and stole from the front desk, plastered around our eyes and cheeks.

Dancing with jello cups in our hands, waving the spoons around until the doctor came in, face mask completely covering his mouth and nose.

"I see we are feeling better." He says and holds up a medical set with a needle, all to collect blood.

"When can we leave?" Juni say, obviously tired of our several days stuck in the hospital, and honestly so am I.

"We need to draw blood to see how much of the poison is left in your system, once it's low enough you can go home. We just got the results back from your test last night, so you guys can finally have visitors." He says with an uplift in his tone. Juni looks to me happily, as he hasn't been able to even see Opala within the last few days.

Once we both give blood, the doctor departs and Juni sneakily turns the music back up. I laugh as he grabs my hands snatching me off the bed, almost twirling together.

Kicking our feet up as we sang along to the chorus. But the fun was cut short by a harsh bang on the room door. We both snap our heads to see Seth and an older man who was glowering at me.

"This is what you've been doing?" He growls and Juni's grip tightens, almost cutting off the blood circulation in my hand.

Through the hospital window the doctor passes by, our eyes meeting and he pauses mid step. My keep my eyes on his and he seems to understand, his eyes shift to the fathers back. Calmly, the doctor walks over by the front desk just outside the room, staring blankly at the clipboard in his hands.

"I cannot believe the shit I'm seeing." He says, condescension and scrutiny rubbed into his face like rosemary salt. "I see you on the news catering to some grave rat, then you're here dancing like a fucking pansy, with stickers on your face."

"Oh?" My eyebrows shooting up in mild amusement. "Grave rat, that's creative. I take it you're the sperm donor?"

I watch him, my face holding the amused expression despite wanting nothing then to make his heart explode in his chest.

"Who the fuck are you to say anything to me?" He almost spits at me. I chuckle as I answer.

"I'm the person that could very well bury you. Not a threat a guarantee, promise." I say coyly.

Juni moves behind me, his fingers gripping into my shirt as even his breathing began to stutter.

"My son has been your lapdog for the last month, and I won't have it. Making him switch houses, taking over his school schedule!" He shouts. "How do you explain this manipulation! What do you have to say for yourself!"

"One, don't yell, your breath smells like rotten eggs scrambled in a yeti's ass." I state flatly and even Seth's eyes almost pop out of his socks. "We're inside, use your inside voice."

His eyes change, the glare hardening and I couldn't help the shit eating grin that took over my face.

"Two, I didn't make Juni do anything. He's completely capable of making his own choices. I'm actually so proud of how much progress he's made as far as being independent from you, you should be too. You know, if you're actually a good father at all." I cross my arms tilting my head to the side as I took him in. Seth and Juni must have gotten their looks from their mother because this man looked like a cracked boar.