Chapter 21- Stronger

Joaquin

Kendric and I stand side by side in the elevator, as we rode up the building that was the medical facility. The glass elevator lit from within with a clean bright light, almost displaying us as we rode up.

"So...how's" I start but Kendric cuts me off quickly.

"I have nothing to say." Kendric snaps as he stares straight ahead.

I let out a slow breath through my nose and keep my hands clasped in front of me.

"I have two kids now." I say. "Samael and Opala."

"I'm shocked. You swore up and down to me you've never have kids." Kendric replies flatly. "Something about their annoying voices and their constant badgering."

"They were annoying and they were constant." I nod and that earns a smile from him. "It was also the most fulfilling time of my life, when they looked up and me with nothing but respect, and love and called me Dad."

Our eyes meet but his are filled with skepticism.

"Kendric I said some wrong and hurtful things-"

"If they hurt my feelings, you'd be dead." He huffs.

"I was drunk. I didn't mean any of it. Regardless the excuses it was wrong to treat my friend that way, and I'm sorry." I turn to him, trying to meet his eyes again but he stands still, straight straight ahead at the unopened doors.

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts, Q." He's tone stone cold and I sigh.

"A drunk man can still just be a jackass ass that didn't know what he meant." I argue. "Look Kendric, there is a very serious problem coming and I want all of us to face it together."

"Ah, acting as the would be king with no crown." He laughs as his full Ugandan accent flushed through with ease, replacing the gritty southern one he always brandished on his vocal chords. "The crown was melted down centuries ago, why are you acting like a monarch?"

"It's hard for me to get rid of the old ways, when war is older than even me." I reply.

"And now, what?" He chuckles. "War is on the line again," he says his accent unmoving. "And you want to make amends if you are killed by this pathetic man."

"This pathetic man is Frank Durroe, and Elias remembers him." I reply smoothly.

"Of course she would." His code switching was fluent, the southern gentleman returning as the elevators opened. Quickly walking out the door down the hall to the main lab. Doctors standing outside the door, masks over their faces and gloves slapped over their hands.

"Alpha, and the undertaker? Together this time?" The main doctor looking up from his clipboard, in confusion. His dark hair fastened underneath a tight blue cap.

"No Sione," Kendric speaks up. "After this I'm heading back to pick my daughter up, then track down this Durroe character. She's been cooped up at that school long enough."

"That...won't work Kendric." I hurriedly say, the Samoan doctor looking between us in confusion.

"And why won't that work?" He turns to me, face screwed in annoyance.

"Samael and Elias are mates, if you take her away he'll be driven insane. I'm sorry Kendric but I cannot watch that happen to my own son!" I say with all seriousness.

"You do realize Elias can come and go as she pleases." He raises his eyebrows at me. "Especially if I tell her where to go. She'll listen to me and not some beastly instinct that pushes codependency." Kendric sneers, and my face falls as I listen to him.