iv

last emo boy on earth - chinese football

by the first month with y/n as manager, the team was already getting into the swing of playing different positions.

setters had become ridiculously good at blocking, and hitters had become much more acustomed to setting. and the receiving was miles better than it was before. since y/n began serving for their scenarios, it was almost natural for the boys to want to receive overhanded.

even yamagata, who had no reason to do anything besides defend, had been very excited to begin practicing his sets.

of course, y/n didn't always join in on the scenarios, but she kind of liked watching all the guys come running up afterwards to ask for her opinion.

y/n found all the boys attractive in their own rights, some more than others, so it was almost flattering to know that they cared so much about what she thought.

even ushijima, the headstrong captain who was praised as being the perfect player, was turning to her.

today was a different, yet exciting, kind of day. today was the first practice match of the year. after the many practices, y/n was miraculously diligant about organzing a practice, as she was very excited to see how much progress the boys had made.

she had no doubt that it was a lot, but she worried that they'd be quick to reform if it was uncomfortable.

but she also knew that nobody was better at putting pressure on his opponents than captain and star setter oikawa tooru of aoba josai.

y/n was aware of his playboy nature, and she could admit that he was the last kind of person that she wanted to be around. she assumed though, that if guys haven't shown her attention in the past, why would oikawa do it now?

thankfully, the team seemed excited to go against seijoh once more. and if they were excited, then y/n would make an attempt to be excited too.

the last few days had been especially significant to y/n. of course, she and the team were growing closer throughout the early morning and late night practices. but, as it seems, they couldn't stay away from her during the school day either.

nowadays, tendou, ushijima, and y/n walked to class together. if tendou couldn't make it, then it'd just be the other two walking in silence while people around them whispered curiously about them.

"i didn't think she was his type."

"maybe not on paper, but who needs a personality when you look like that?"

"oh, to be her..."

"oh, to be him..."

"maybe, i should join the volleyball team."

"i wonder if she's looking for junior managers..."

neither of them tried to respond, but it was almost immediately clear to ushijima that y/n took great discomfort in the people's words. ushijima didn't really understand them all that much, but she never had a positive expression when they were together.

ushijima wasn't even sure if y/n liked him. not that he needed her to, but with how much praise she gave to his teammates, and with how much faith coach washijo had put into y/n's managing skills, he thought it best if he was on her good side.

so ushijima attempted time and time again to even begin a conversation with her whenever he had free time during practice or when they were walking together or whenever their class was taking a short break, but the response was almost always the same.