xi

aslan - banana fish . minor nsfw

the boys' volleyball team all sat together on their bus just before the sun set on their way to a training camp. they happily accepted the invitation sent by fukurodani.

the team would openly express it time and time again, but as of late, fukurodani and nekoma were the teams that weren't boring.

coach washijo saw it as well. practice matches against smaller teams in the area weren't doing his team very well. the boys weren't learning anything that they didn't already know, and they were bored out of their minds with the easy wins.

so both managers and both coaches mutually agreed that a week long training camp was what they needed.

in the back seat of the bus, kaori sat against the window with her sister right beside her. the two girls spoke quietly to each other while ushijima listened and comfortably sat beside y/n.

"are you excited, kaori?" y/n asked.

the first year nervously twirled a strand of hair around her finger and shrugged.

"i'm not sure... are they all big like our team?"

y/n hummed and pondered an answer.

"well... no. granted, neither fukurodani nor nekoma have the tallest guys." kaori sighed in relief. "but they all play volleyball at the end of the day, kaori."

"i guess that is true," kaori agreed. "are you excited to see kuroo again? he hasn't seen you since you changed, right?"

"we send pictures of each other all the time, but this'll be the first time in a while."

ushijima's eyebrows scrunched. he did not like the sound of it at all. he didn't like how y/n smiled when she talked about kuroo tetsuro. ushijima never really had anything against him, but right now... he hated his fellow captain.

"you and kuroo know each other?" ushijima finally asked.

"he's a close friend of mine. we met a couple of years ago at the store."

"you talk a lot, then?"

"yeah," y/n smiled. "are you jealous?"

"if i was?"

"if you were, i'd say that there's nothing to worry about. kuroo and i are good friends and he'd never mess with me like that." while she did well to reassure him, ushijima still had his worries.

"but the others might."

y/n's smile faltered for a moment, thought it wasn't noticeable.

"i guess it's a good thing that i have you here, right?"

kaori watched the two closely. she knew of her older sister's feelings for the terrifying ace. she knew of how ushijima had treated her older sister last year, and now, courtesy of udai, kaori knew of ushijima's reciprocated feelings.

kaori didn't know a thing about love, but she knew people.

y/n had been dodging the ace's feelings. it seemed like, in the back of the manager's head, she knew how ushijima felt. and maybe that was why she did stupid things like ask him if he was jealous of kuroo. because kaori saw that, too. ushijima was jealous. he was always jealous if y/n looked at anybody beside him. kaori wished that her sister would acknowledge it.

she hated all the weird tension between them. kaori thought about how impossible it'd be that y/n, the smartest person that kaori knew, would be the only one completely oblivious to something that was staring her right in the face. literally.