v

cocaine sunday - eyedress

since ushijima heard the confession, y/n noticed that he'd been considerably affectionate with her, though it was still a very slight amount.

on the bus, he held things while she was organizing notes and arbitrary papers. when they finally arrived at aoba josai, he unnecessarily assisted her off the bus, and held her bag with his.

"you're being especially sweet," she said while they walked beside each other across the courtyard. "change of heart?"

"i didn't realize that i was doing anything differently." ushijima's expression scrunched. "would you like me to stop?"

"no, no. i actually quite like you this way," she laughed.

ushijima hummed. "i'm glad."

shoes squeaked against the clean planks of seijoh's volleyball gym, volleyballs slammed against the skins of players' hands, and loud shouting could be heard as soon as shiritorizawa got off the bus.

"excuse us," coach washijo greeted. "we hope we aren't too late."

similarly, seijoh's coach and manager greeted them all the same.

"not at all," they said. "we just got started ourselves. but please take the time to warmup!"

though they were given permission to use the court, ushijima and his teammates noticed that one student in particular refused to leave. instead, he combed his fingers through his short brown hair and smirked.

"who is that i see? ushiwaka?!" besides y/n, ushijima scowled at the rather familiarly annoying voice calling towards him.

"oikawa tooru."

y/n noticed the tensions rising, so she discreetly swept her bag off of ushijima's shoulder and joined in with the rest of the team over near the bench while oikawa walked to converse with an unwilling ushijima.

the two spoke quietly while y/n watched them from the benches.

"what's with those two?" she whispered to ohira.

"it's more a question of what's up with oikawa... he gets under ushijima's skin a lot."

"oh... maybe i shouldn't have set this match up then?" y/n rubbed her arm nervously.

"don't feel bad," ohira quickly replied. he waved his hand to brush away her regrets. "if ushijima was incapable of handling oikawa's irritating behavior, he wouldn't be captain."

"i guess that is true..."

"i think he's more worried about you, honestly." while y/n began to pull out her clipboard covered in notes and other first aid amenities. she knew that yamagata had been having problems with his ankle recently, and she knew it was good to keep extra tape as tendou liked to tape his fingers together.

she also kept a myriad of her brother's hair clips in her bag. when udai had long hair, he'd always complain about how his bangs never stayed tied back, so she thought she'd give the same advice to shirabu that she did to her brother, even though shirabu would never openly complain about it.

"m-me? why would ushijima worry about me?"

"he's probably getting upset because he doesn't want you to be around oikawa," ohira chuckled.

"right... because of his reputation."

"unfortunately so. i'm sure if you keep your distance then you'll be fine."

"i'll take your word for it," she smiled up at him. suddenly, a flurry of shivers ran up her spine and goosebumps appeared on her arm. "god, this gym is cold. i can't believe i left my jacket at the school."