vii

hometown - banana fish . implicit s.a.

it'd been two weeks since the incident at aoba josai. two weeks since ushijima met one of the best players in japan. two weeks since ushijima was beginning to feel like his relationship with y/n was... changing.

he hesitated asking tendou about it, knowing that the blocker would make a much larger deal of it than ushijima was comfortable with. but at the same time, what was it supposed to mean when ushijima wanted to be around her all the time? what did it mean when he got angry when other guys looked at her the same way that he might've? and why did he even care to watch the way she moved from head to toe at any moment that he could?

tendou would know. but was ushijima wakatoshi ready to know?

-

morning practice had ended by the time that ushijima finally decided to confide in tendou.

"tendou."

the red-haired male looked to ushijima curiously. he hummed in acknowledgement.

"i want to know something."

"which is?"

"if i..." ushijima hesitated once more. "if i know a person, and i want to be near them significantly more, and i enjoy looking at them and speaking to them, is there something wrong with me? when this person is walking to our class, i want to walk with them and keep them safe even on insignificant trips like that. do you know of a sickness like that?"

"sickness?" tendou began to snicker. "this person is a girl?"

ushijima nodded softly.

"whenever i see her, i feel.... better. i feel stronger. i like it when she looks at me."

tendou hummed endearingly. "wakatoshi, i think you have a crush on this person."

ushijima grimaced. "crush? i do not wish to crush her. i'd feel bad if i did that."

"no, no." tendou waved his hands in defense. "a crush. having a crush on someone means that you have some romantic feelings for them, and those feelings make you want to do things with them and be around them like you said."

"i've never heard it be said that way... it's strange," he muttered. "i have a crush..."

"wakatoshi has a crush on someone?" ohira chimed.

"wakatoshi has a crush on someone?!" yamagata shouted.

"ushijima has a crush on some-"

"yes, he's got a crush on someone!" semi yelled, interrupting goshiki. "now, shut it! i wanna hear who it is!"

the boys began to gather around ushijima expectantly, awaiting the moment where he'd hopefully tell them who had finally caught his interest.

kawanishi listened in as well, just waiting and hoping that he'd hear any other name besides y/n's. he noticed how close they'd become, sitting next to each other at lunch while y/n gave him different suggestions on how to manage his diet.

he knew that they were in the same class, but it still pissed him off that they walked with each other almost everywhere.

ushijima had even met some of her family.

meanwhile, kawanishi kept letting his nerves and anxiety work him out of even saying hello.

"i..." the boys stared ushijima down.    

a knocking from outside the locker room came, interrupting the silence and breaking the tension.

"hurry up!" a familiarly feminine voice called out. "you're all going to be late for class."