xvii

floating trees - c418 . minor nsfw

(two months later)

"we could go to that festival in tokyo. it's by the nationals gymnasium, so we might see some familiar faces."

"is that supposed to be a good thing?"

"of course! udai has been watching and meeting with a lot of those guys to help set them up with college, so i might see some friends."

"friends..."

"friends, 'toshi. just some friends."

"i still don't want to go."

y/n and ushijima laid together in his full-sized bed while trying to figure out what to do over their break before college started up.

y/n had agreed to go on a trip that would last around two weeks to the uk with udai to learn more about being an athletic trainer from his football trainer friend. because of that they wanted to have some time together before having to think about so the college stuff. even though they were already going to be in the same city, with ushijima going to play for the schweiden adlers, and y/n going to major in athletics and health at tokyo gakugei university, a break couldn't hurt.

after losing to karasuno, ushijima couldn't have been happier. the stress of nationals was nowhere to be seen in his life, and instead he could enjoy time with y/n. he could walk into school with her hand held by his, and it was finally them sharing a piece of cheesecake. finally, he could walk in proudly with his arm around her and, though she tried to stop him from caring, he could revel in the looks of envy that he received from the same guys that harassed her at the beginning of the year.

every morning after practice, ushijima would specifically not tie his own uniform tie so that she'd have to tie it for him outside of class.

-

"i know that you leave it untied on purpose, 'toshi."

ushijima leaned against the wall beside their classroom as he watched the shorter girl in front of him neatly wrap his brightly colored tie back around his neck.

"no, i don't," he disagreed. "i'm in a rush to leave the locker rooms, so i forget."

"why don't you do it when we walk here?" she asked him, knowingly smiling.

"you tie it better than i do," he shrugged. "it looks nicer."

y/n chuckled and evened out the ends.

"i think you just like when i'm close to you."

she reached up to loop her fingers under his tie to pull him down by the loose knot. she kissed him hastily, keeping it short so that he couldn't return it with the understanding that there were people around. she pulled away and tightened the knot, laughing at his small grimace.

"i do," he quietly agreed.

-

ushijima impatiently checked his watch, watching the busy terminal in front of him and the planes flying and landing on the runways just outside.

it was only a bit after six at night, but already ushijima was starting to worry that something was wrong. he wondered if maybe he'd been early, but his worries easily settled when he saw his girlfriend approaching him in the wide hallway.

she wore her headphones over her head and she looked to be reading something on her phone while she walked with her suitcase rolling behind her.

she wore shorts that ended just above her knees, though they were hidden by ushijima's hoodie that she couldn't seem to stop wearing. but he still made her promise that she'd wear his schweiden adler hoodie when he started there.