xiii

him and hym - banana fish

rain pelted the windows of shiritorizawa. it was a gloomy and gray day, and everyone seemed especially tired.

the volleyball team had spent the entirety of the week before at the training camp, and now they were all stuck getting caught back up. tendou and ushijima had barely spoken, and since their fight, that only kaori knew about, they both refused to stand on the same court.

it was immature, but unfortunately it was putting a damper on their volleyball performances, so the managers and coaches spoke in private and decided to split them up, not without encouraging a resolution of some sort. coach washijo was especially disappointed. he had never seen so many leads, so many easy wins, tossed away without a second thought because of the childish argument.

neither of them wanted to talk about it, either. tendou was visibly hurt by ushijima's demeaning words. he questioned their friendship, wondering if ushijima had ever really seen tendou as more than just a teammate. ushijima thought that tendou overreacted, but he couldn't describe why the things that the redhead told him seemed to echo in his head.

y/n felt the tension. she noticed the petty way that tendou talked about ushijima like he wasn't there, and she noticed how ushijima ignored tendou's presence altogether.

she asked tendou what had happened.

"ask ushijima about it," he said.

she went to ask ushijima what was wrong.

"tendou can tell you all about it," he replied.

it got annoying fast.

one day, almost a week after the fight and their first day back at school, the team sat at their lunch table cheerfully conversing while tendou and ushijima pretended that they weren't divided simply by y/n who sat in between them. rain hit the ground harshly outside and cars rushed by with the common hissing noise of water splashing out from underneath the tires. it'd been a nonstop downpour. it was becoming so constant that students were making jokes that the raindrops would start to poke holes in the ceiling. luckily, there'd been no thunder, though it was beginning to look that way.

tendou and y/n shared a slice of chocolate cake that had a slice of strawberry as decoration. upon noticing how much quieter ushijima had been, y/n delicately removed the strawberry and beckoned for his attention.

"wakatoshi," she tapped his shoulder. "would you like my strawberry?"

he looked down at her and his face seemed to brighten as he nodded.

"if i give it to you, will you tell me what's going on between you and tendou?" she asked carefully, hoping not to upset ushijima.

to her side, tendou scoffed and laughed.

"i can tell you what happened," tendou said.

"that's okay," she refused. "i want to hear it from ushijima first."

ushijima glared at tendou over y/n's shoulder.

"no. there's nothing going on."

y/n's shoulders sunk and she dropped the strawberry back on the plate.

"yeah," tendou fakely agreed. "absolutely nothing. nothing was said, y'know? it's not like the guy who was supposed to be our captain admitted that he wanted nothing to do with us."

upon hearing tendou's words, the rest of the table silenced and stared at ushijima as well.

"wakatoshi, you... you said that?" yamagata whispered.