°•° 1 °•°

You know that weird phenomenon where it's pouring rain yet the sun is shining happily, completely confusing the heck out of you? Yeah. Apparently it's called a sunshower. Super happy and innocent, right? Very, very wrong. Because it seemed it always happened at the worst times. At my eighth birthday party. At my grandpa's funeral. At the semifinals for districts my junior year baseball season. And now, as I was waiting, waiting, waiting for news. Any news.

It really wasn't raining that hard, and there really wasn't that much sunshine, but it was enough to make me even more exhausted than I already was. It was like nature taunted me every time something really good or really bad happened.

The current status of this golden rain situation was leaning toward the latter. Actually, not really leaning. More like plummeting...

"Kason," my mother whispered as she rubbed her hand on my back. I didn't take my face from my hands or pull my fingers from where they were nearly ripping out my dishwater blond hair.

"Kason, honey, I brought you some coffee."

Clenching my jaw, I finally looked up at her, meeting her grey eyes. She looked almost as exhausted as I did as she handed me the steaming cup of hospital coffee, but there was still a bit of motherly pity and concern for me mixed in with her tiredness.

Wrapping my hands around the foam cup, I took a sip. It burned my tongue and the bitter liquid stung my throat all the way down, but I didn't care. It was caffeine, which meant I would be able to stay up longer to wait.

Leaning back in my chair, I muttered, "Thanks."

She sat down in the seat in between me and my dad, who looked like he was about to pass out. She wrapped her jacket tighter around her shoulders and then stared at the wall, losing herself in her thoughts just as she had been doing for the last four hours.

I twiddled with the edge of the coffee lid before looking down the hall. There was a set of double doors. They were the only thing keeping me from running down the hall to my sister. Beyond those doors were doctors and nurses and there was no way I would make it to Kaybree's room without being caught.

It was probably for the best, even though I was dying to be with her. I would probably just be in the doctor's way.

With a heavy breath, I face forward again, looking out the window of the waiting hall. I watched the rain as it glimmered in the dull sunshine. It ran down the glass and gathered at the sill, before dripping off and out of sight.

My mind wandered back to nearly six years ago, the last time I had seen it sunshower. My baseball team had just lost the semi finals.

As I trudged to the car, rain soaked my uniform and sunshine warmed my cheeks. But I didn't really care about either. Because I was too focused on how infuriated I was. We should have blown the Tigers out of the water, no question. We had beat them 6-2 earlier in the season. And what did we do when it counted most? We choked.

The final score in the last inning had been 3-2.

I grabbed at the Cadillac door handle, trying to open the car. But I was far too ahead of my parents and sister for it to be in unlocking range.

I rested my head on the wet window until they caught up, wanting to punch it.

The click of the car finally unlocking pulled me from my raging thoughts. I climbed into the car as the rest of my family did, me and my sister in the backseat with my dad driving and my mom in the passenger seat. They had used umbrellas so weren't as wet as I was. I was surprised my mom didn't make a comment about me getting the seats wet.