°•° 15 °•°

A/N Wow, this is weird doing an author's note BEFORE the chapter XD But it is necessary! Just wanted to warn you that parts of this chapter are a little deep and might be intense for some readers. It's not bad but I just thought I would tell y'all in advance :) Despite this, it's one of my favorite chapters so far so I really hope you like it! Enjoy, my friends!!

I sat in the window seat of the loft attic space. Everyone but Sav, Mr. and Mrs. White, and I had left to go to their respective homes. The house was quiet with sleep, Sav's parents out downstairs and Sav probably snoozing away in her childhood bedroom on the second floor. The guest room they were letting me borrow was really warm and cozy, but I just hadn't been able to catch a wink. Now, it was nearly three in the morning.

I glanced over my shoulder to check to make sure Abigail was still asleep in her travel crib that had been small enough to carry up here without waking her. Luckily, she had been sleeping for longer periods of time recently, something that I was thankful for. You know, when I was actually able to sleep while she slept.

Her monitor, which was clasped onto her pajama onesie, flashed a small green light every few seconds, showing that her breathing was within average range. That was another thing I was extremely thankful for; she hadn't had breathing problems since she'd been released from the hospital. Looks like whatever they had done all that time she had spent there had been worth it.

With a silent breath, I turned to look back out the window. The half full moon shined down on the field behind the house, making the snow sparkle like tiny diamonds. Tall oak trees loomed in the distance, stoic sentinels of the night. There wasn't a single movement, a single sound. It was all so different from New York City. But I couldn't say a bad different.

A creak came from the stairs behind me and I snapped my gaze over, holding my breath.

"Sorry," Sav whispered as she tiptoed the rest of the way up.

I released my breath and slowly looked back out the window again. "It's okay. You just startled me."

Quietly, she made her way over and sat down on the other side of the window seat. The bench wasn't long and so our knees brushed together at the slightest movement. But I didn't move my legs away.

Glancing at her, the corner of my lips twitched. "Nice outfit."

She glared playfully, hugging her arms over her fuzzy reindeer onesie. "Just because it's after Christmas doesn't mean I can't still wear festive pajamas."

I shook my head, chuckling softly. I turned my gaze back to the window, my smile lingering as I let my head fall back on the frame around the glass.

We sat in silence, both of us gazing out at the solitude of the world just beyond the window. It was nice, being with her yet not feeling the need to say anything. She was so easy to be around. I didn't have to think when I was with her. I just was. And that was something not even Rico had given me. I was starting to wonder if this odd girl that had randomly shown up into my life just a little over a month ago was starting to become one of the best friends I had ever had.

It was quiet for a long time, until Sav finally broke it, muttering, "Kason?"

I met her eyes. They were soft like they sometimes became, making me give her my full attention. "Yeah?"

She snapped once before catching herself and tucking her hands in between her legs. She started to speak before thinking for a moment longer. Finally, she decided on, "I hope it's okay that I told my family your situation. I knew they would have questions about Abby and that it might just be easier to fill them in so that you wouldn't have to endure too many awkward questions."