°•° 7 °•°

I stared at the elevator door. I had basically lived here for the past week, but things were a little different now that I was back after helping Kaybree settle in.

For one, I smelled so much better. And honestly felt a little better, too, after getting in a quick power nap and freshening up with a much needed shower.

And two, Kaybree was now at her apartment, I'm sure sleeping. I had hated leaving her, but she had looked so overwhelmed and tired. I hadn't left until I knew she was completely asleep. Even then, though, I made sure that I was her top emergency contact on her phone so she could just call me if needs be.

But, third, despite my sister being released, Abigail hadn't been. Not yet at least. And that was why I was here. Yeah, maybe hoping to beg Miranda for another check in with her. But also for a much more... embarrassing reason.

Finally, I decided I just needed to stop being such a big baby and go up. The longer I waited, the more humiliating this would become. And it was already pretty humiliating.

So I stepped forward and pressed the button on the elevator. I only had to wait a moment before the doors slid open and accepted me as their prisoner.

Once up to the right floor, I emerged into the place that was all too familiar to me: the waiting hall. I sighed before forcing myself deeper in.

I looked around the hall and when I was met with absolutely no one, I stepped up to the desk at the nurses station. The little bell on the counter laughed at me as I reached for it and gave it the tiniest of rings.

But it was loud enough that only a moment later, a familiar dark haired nurse came rushing through the double doors at the end of the hall.

"I'm so sorry-" But when Miranda looked up, she took a breath of relief. "Oh, Kason. It's just you." She panicked. "Not that you aren't important or that... um..."

My lip twitched with a smile. "Don't worry, I got what you meant."

She sighed. "Good. I'm sorry." She shuffled around the desk and then turned full on nurse-mode. "What can I help you with?"

I leaned my elbows on the counter. "You know Sav, right?"

Her face brightened. "Of course! I love her."

"Great." I smiled. "Do you know if she's working right now?"

"Um, I can check. What time is it?"

I looked down at my Apple watch. "Four thirty two."

She clicked around on the computer in front of her, then typed something in. Her eyes scanned across the screen before she looked back up with a smile. "Lucky you. She's here, but about to get off."

"Cool. Do you know where I can find her?"

"I think she's working in the machine lab today. I can page her if you want me to."

"Sure, that'd be great."

Clicking a few more times on the computer and typing something, she pressed enter. "She should be here any second."

And by any second, she wasn't wrong. Only half a minute later, Sav pushed through the double doors. She opened her mouth to say something to Miranda, but she stopped when she saw me. "Oh. Hey, Kason." She smirked. "Is this what you meant by an 'emergency'?" she asked Miranda.

Miranda sent me a coy smile with a shrug. "I thought she'd come faster."

I snorted.

"What do you need?" Sav asked, staying on task.