°•° 29 °•°

Kaybree. My parents. Miranda. Rico. They all ended up showing up at one point. I wasn't sure how they figured out what was going on since I'd never gathered enough strength to tell the nurse who to call, but they were here.

But it didn't feel like they were here. It was like I'd stayed outside in the cold too long; I was completely emotionally numb. Kaybree was in a similar state, though she cried intermittently. Luckily, Miranda was able to calm her down enough every time she burst out. My parents were obviously upset, but how much so, I wasn't sure. At this point, I didn't really care enough to try and figure it out.

I stared at the wall across from where I sat, unblinking. Unmoving. Close to not breathing. My mind was in a haze. I didn't feel anything. I couldn't. It was like my emotions were broken.

There went long minutes that spanned into hours where none of us said a word. We barely moved. We barely did anything. Not that I would notice if someone else did.

There also weren't very many thoughts that found their way to my head. Many of them were just Abby's name. But every once in a while, I wondered how I'd be feeling with Sav here.

I needed her so badly right now. I was so lost and so broken and I felt like I was suffocating. Where was she? Where was my best friend?

But there was no way I was reaching out to her. I doubted I even physically... mentally could if I tried.

At some point, a few of the others stirred. Miranda and Rico disappeared for a while. My parents disappeared for a while. Only Kaybree and I remained here permanently, unable to do anything without a report or any information.

When Miranda got back from wherever her and Rico had gone, she crouched down in front of me, trying to draw my gaze as she comfortingly rested a hand on my knee. "Kason."

I couldn't look at her. It was too hard.

"Kason."

I couldn't.

She let out a weary sigh. "I know all this is overwhelming but please let us help you with this. I know you probably don't think anything can help. But please, I promise we're here with you and you don't have to take this burden alone."

Suddenly, Rico was right next to her, bedding down to look at me. "She's right. Just because things are hard, doesn't mean we're gonna leave. No matter how much you've been blowing me off lately, I'm still your friend."

There was a thud and an "ow" so I assumed Miranda smacked him or something. But that couldn't pull a smile to my face or even shift my gaze toward them.

Miranda squeezed my knee. "I'm so sorry this is happening, Kason. I really am..."

Still, I didn't respond.

Rico whispered something to her before they both stood slowly. Miranda lingered in front of me before the two of them went to try to talk to Kaybree.

When I was alone again, I closed my eyes. The fluorescent lighting of the hospital made the insides of my eyelids glow red, so I couldn't even find darkness, a sense of peace, there.

Suddenly, the overwhelming feeling to run away hit me like a freight train. My once slow breathing picked up pace and I felt panic rise in my throat.

I sat up. "I can't do this," I breathed.

Miranda and Rico looked over, Miranda quickly to her feet.

"I..." I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"Kason," Miranda said, finding her spot in front of me again. "Kason, take deep breaths. We're here. Just try to calm down."