Chapter 5

"What has you getting so happy and then frustrated a few seconds later, Mikael?"

The teen blushed. He couldn't believe how easy it was for people to read his face while thinking about Raphael.

"Well, Papa, thanks to some advice from Mom last week, today I confessed to the person I like." he admitted, which made Anton look at Annika, but she was already grinning.

Kirill seemed a bit shocked, but he stuffed his cheeks with dinner and didn't say a word. Anton returned his gaze to Mikael and then gestured for him to go on.

"Well, it kind of happened under duress on my part since we had a misunderstanding."

Annika was intrigued. "What kind, honey?"

Mikael's cheeks warmed and he turned his head. "He saved me some trouble dealing with someone, then he was joking around and grabbed my shoulders. He thought I was grossed out because of his appearance, so I had to tell him the truth."

"Is he really that ugly?" asked Kirill, which he was admonished for by Annika. Kirill pouted. "I was just curious."

"I don't really know what he looks like, Kir, but his appearance isn't important to me at this time."

Anton turned his head to look at Annika again. "Isn't that suspicious? Are you sure this is okay with you, Ann?"

Annika smiled and leaned sideways to kiss her husband's cheek. "It's okay, love. Just trust our son's judgment."

Anton's cheeks warmed and he smiled happily. "All right."

Kirill fake-gagged, but Mikael could tell that his stepbrother was happy for his father. Mikael felt the same way about his adoptive mom.

"So what has you reacting so oddly?" pressed Annika, continuing to work on her plate of food.

Mikael pushed his chicken around at first. "He was happy with my confession and now we're going out. I thought he would give me a chance for a date or something, but he really wanted me. Don't get me wrong, that's the happy part. The frustrating part is that I don't know when I will see him again to ask for his number."

"Isn't he at school?" asked Kirill.

"That's the thing, Kir. I rarely see the guy even when I'm actively looking around for him."

"I don't like the sound of this, Ann..." whined Anton, nervously tapping his fingers. "Something's not right."

Annika straightened and looked directly at Mikael. "Any alarm bells?"

"No," murmured Mikael. "I just have a few questions for him. He's really not a bad guy, Mom. I promise."

"All right, I won't interfere. I know you will come to me—now your papa is an option—if you ever need assistance."

"Thanks, Mom."

Kirill cleaned off his plate and set his fork down. "Kael, can I meet him?"

Mikael's eyebrows rose. "If I can find him tomorrow, I will tell him you want to meet."

"You'd let me?"

"Why wouldn't I, Kir? You're my brother."

Kirill smiled happily. "Yeah, I am."

Anton stood up a bit and stretched out his arms to reach the pair. Mikael and Kirill grinned after the affectionate hair tousles from him. Dinner was finished with a happy, soft atmosphere, and Mikael helped his stepfather clean up the kitchen while Kirill picked the tea. The teen never thought he could feel so at home in one spot with a father and a sibling. He had been so used to being alone with his adoptive mom that he was certain things would be horrible, but Mikael was delightfully wrong on that account.