Chapter 30

"Kael!" exclaimed Kirill, breaking into a run as Mikael stepped out of the vehicle Chaos drove to get the teens home.

"Kir!" Mikael grinned and caught his stepbrother, then hugged him tightly. "I missed you."

"M-me too," whispered Kirill. "Don't disappear anywhere anymore."

Mikael's happy mood mellowed as his brother started crying, so he gently soothed Kirill while Raphael climbed out from the other side of the dark SUV. Annika and Anton hurried over to embrace the teens with Kirill snugly caught in the middle. Mikael kissed his parents' cheeks and smiled happily when he felt Raphael's skin heat up after also giving a couple pecks to the married couple's faces.

"Hey, this is great and all, but I have something to give to Mikael before I leave."

Mikael turned, so arctic-blue eyes met dark ones. Chaos looked only slightly annoyed, so the teen chuckled and kissed Kirill's head before having the younger boy latch onto Raphael for more cuddles. Mikael extricated himself from the group and carefully stepped around the car on the icy driveway and steadied himself by hanging onto the door.

Chaos had the window lowered from earlier, so he passed a cloth bag with a red and green bow to Mikael. "Here, a present from the master and me."

"From you, too?"

The dangerous man sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, just don't make a fuss over it."

Mikael smirked, causing Chaos to growl and glare at him. The teen snickered and took the gift with a thank you. "I guess I grew on you quite a bit, huh?" he teased.

"Like a mushroom."

"Quite prolific growers, aren't they?"

Chaos stared at Mikael for a moment, then started chuckling. "You're really fucking strange, but you are very interesting, too. I'm glad I didn't kill you."

"Gee, thanks."

"The master's and my contact info are in that bag. If you see or hear anything similar to what we were involved in, just give us a call. And if you happen to need someone killed, I won't charge you a fee the first time."

"Wow, Mr. Money-Hungry doesn't want payment? What is the world coming to?"

Chaos rolled his eyes. "Think of it as a favor. I really do appreciate what you and Raphael did for the master."

"Which is?"

The killer coughed as a blush rose to his face, raking his fingers through his silver-dyed hair. "Keeping him safe."

"Aww, aren't you just the cutest?"

Chaos pulled his lips down and glowered at Mikael. "If you don't want to find yourself at the bottom of the nearest bay with buckets of concrete on your limbs, keep your fucking trap shut."

Arctic-blue eyes gleamed as Mikael laughed. "Sure, Chaos. See you around."

"I fucking hope not."

Mikael stepped back and waved as Chaos flipped him off while backing out of the driveway. The man sped away, then Mikael returned to his family and Kirill grabbed his arm.

"We're having a movie night, Kael. You and Raph can't escape!"

The teens glanced at each other and chuckled. Mikael responded affirmatively, then hurried up the steps after his family. He glanced back and noticed a hulking figure behind a tree, then his expression brightened and leapt off the steps like Kirill earlier. Alarmed, Raphael turned to see the same person as Mikael.

"Gram!" exclaimed Mikael, running over and leaping onto his best friend's side.

Gram was quiet while he leaned on the tree, letting Mikael hug his waist. The teen instantly recognized that something was wrong with Gram and began poking him to get a reaction. There was no response. Mikael rested his chin on Gram's chest and stared up at the blank expression of his best friend.