Chapter 9

"Honey, did you have a good day?"

Mikael hesitated in his response. It had been a good day, but there was a certain "Thorne" in his side that was concerning him.

"Mikael?"

The teen lifted his head as he sat on his bed. "Mom..."

Annika sat down next to her son and patted his head. "What's wrong, hon?"

Mikael rested his head against her own. "I told Raphael and Gram about my ability."

"Oh," she murmured. "Did they—?"

"No, they were accepting of that. But the reason why I had to tell them is because of a total psycho at school."

Annika hugged Mikael's shoulders. "What's going on?"

Mikael spent a few minutes explaining what he knew about Raphael's situation, then about Gideon Thorne. After that, he went on to say that the psycho's interest in him was very intense, even though Mikael had yet to set off his trigger. Annika was quiet throughout it all, but she cupped her son's head and held him close. At the end, she loosened her grip on Mikael and just gently squeezed his shoulders.

"What would you like to do, honey?"

Mikael looked into her blue eyes. "I'm not leaving again. I want to stay here. This is the first place I've ever felt at home in my own skin, and Raphael is here. Gram, too."

Annika nodded with a smile. "I know." she whispered, then rubbed her right thumb across his left cheek. Mikael took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

"I don't know what to do, Mom. If I do anything rash, Gram and Raphael will be in danger. But if I don't do anything, I'm afraid they will get hurt in my defense. Supposedly, Thorne is a powerful name in this territory. We can only do so much. We're not all-powerful."

Annika quirked her lips to the side. "Hon, your papa and I can deal with Gideon Thorne's father. But I'm sure you know there is a likely possibility that he will retaliate against you three. I suppose that you will either have to make him lose interest or that you take him out."

The volume of her voice had lowered to a whisper for the last three words. Mikael glanced at Annika with a curious expression.

"The company can take care of him, honey. The 'Thorne' in your side will disappear."

Mikael's eyes widened. "They can do that?"

Annika chuckled and stroked her knuckles along Mikael's jawline, then kissed his forehead. "Because you are theirs, honey, they will do anything." she replied, then pushed herself off his bed.

Mikael was floored. "Just what kind of company did I sign up with, anyway?"

Annika laughed. "A powerful one," she answered with a smirk. "Think about it, Mikael, but don't take too long. If anything happens to you, honey, the company will forcefully move us and you will have to change your name."

Mikael's lips pulled down and muttered, "I don't like the sound of that."

"Then you better make up your mind soon."

"I'll talk about it with Raphael and Gram," he started, then after seeing his mom's concerned expression he added, "without mentioning the company and my job."

"Good luck with that, Mikael." Annika was about to leave, but she paused and then turned back. "If Raphael needs help with something, you can have him ask your papa and me, too."

"I will let him know. Thanks, Mom."

"Sure thing, honey."

Mikael was left alone in his thoughts as he climbed under the sheets. He pulled up his weighted blanket and hugged his second pillow, holding it to his body as he sank into the bed with a sigh. He did feel less stressed after talking to Annika, but Mikael was completely unsure what would be the correct answer to the issue with Raphael and Thorne. If he decided to just go for it and get rid of Thorne, then Raphael would be safe. But what would be the consequences for that? It was a crime, but for a good cause...